Saturday 21 September 2013

Neurologists have helped create this situation, and now they step away, leaving them with nowhere to go- disgraceful

feel like an idiot
Author
Post
serina
20 Sep 2013 at 4:15PM
Well just back from first neurology appointment. couldnt find any neurological abnormalities from physical tests. neurologist said i was probably sufferring from stress and would refer me for mri brain and cv spine but was expecting it to be clear. yes i have had stress in my life for a good number of years but if this is stress related i must be completely off my head and unstable although i dont feel i am. ive got a good job in the nhs and soldiered on regardless. i feel like i waisted his time and wish ide never even gone to GP in the first place. in future i am just going to put up with symptoms and tell myself its stress.
bit upset x
Sunflower77
20 Sep 2013 at 4:59PM
Oh serina I'm sorry you feel so bad. Please don't give up. Wait and see what happens with the MRI scans etc. I've been fobbed off for years being told things were stress related and was diagnosed with RRMS in August. I'm not saying this will be the same for you, but regardless of what is causing your symptoms you deserve to be treated for them. Take care x
Gel3000
20 Sep 2013 at 5:48PM
Hi Serina.  I am sorry that I don't have anything inteligent to add, but I am very good at giving hugs so have a mahoosive hug from me ((((((((((((((x)))))))))))))
At least he has still referred you for scans and its not like he has totally written you off.  You know your own stress levels and your own body.  Do you know how long you will have to wait for the scans?  Keep your chin up hon.
Angela xx
serina
20 Sep 2013 at 6:14PM
thanks for replies and the hugs, definately need them. dont know i long the wait is, probably months. is there anyone else here with ms type symptoms and clear neuro exam. ? x
Dinks
20 Sep 2013 at 6:35PM
Hi Serina
Chin up.  I know how disappointing it can be.  Have faith keep pestering for the scan dates.   My symptoms were dismissed by the locum I saw on my first appointment which lasted 5 mins instead of the hour booked.   I go back next week and hopefully the locum will have departed and I will see someone who is actually interested.    Keep us posted - sorry I can't be of more help.  I have found the lovely people on here help keep one sane.   Have a look at the EL forum for WB's jokes just to take your mind off things.and raise a smile and hopefully the scan date won't be too far ahead. take care
Dinks





MrsChicca
20 Sep 2013 at 7:22PM
I don't know your history but it may not be MS?x
serina
20 Sep 2013 at 8:41PM
thanks dinks, seem to have ruled everything else out Mrs Chicca. i know stress cani cause aches and pains , headaches etc but didnt think it caused vertigo, blurry vision, painful eyes and muscle spasms so severe its caused pinky to stiffen to side. not to mention complete numbness in hands. but who am i x
arwen
20 Sep 2013 at 10:06PM
Haven't you had ON? What did the neuro say about that. I have been told twice my symptoms are anxiety now neuro is sending me for mri to look for demyelination
Axx
serina
20 Sep 2013 at 11:03PM
Hi arwen, was told i had suspected op after optician examined me. had 2 episodes this year, had same thing about 15 years ago but with no other symptoms and i didnt follow that one up. He didnt comment on that but did take a brief look into my eyes and said it was ok. when your neuro put it down to anxiety does that mean nothing showed up in your neuro exam too. x
arwen
20 Sep 2013 at 11:07PM
Yep nothing showed in neuro exam back then now I have brisk reflexes, fall over on rombergs and I don't think they could tell on babinski what it did by reading my letter so now I'm getting full spine and head mri in 2 weeks
Axx
arwen
20 Sep 2013 at 11:09PM
What always makes me chuckle as well is when they say no loss of strength when testing you as they don't know what my strength was before so it could be normal but weaker than it was lol
Axx
serina
20 Sep 2013 at 11:18PM
how long ago did you have your first neuro exam x
elmo
20 Sep 2013 at 11:27PM
Hi Serina
A lot of neuros missed out on charm school so you have to develop a thick skin at least until you get some kind of firm diagnosis.  Ignore the comments, at least you have a referral for an MRI.
I have RRMS and have had 2 relapses this year affecting my legs but at my neuro check up in August most of examination was normal.  The neuro did notice very slight clonus (jerking) in my ankle, I had a little difficulty hopping and was a bit wobbly doing the tandem walking but my strength and co-ordination were back to normal.
It just proves that the neurological examination isn't the full story so hang on and wait to see what the MRI shows.  Of course, you may not have MS but if you feel that something isn't right then it needs investigating.  I hope you have had lots of blood tests too as this will help to rule out simple vitamin deficiencies, etc which may cause similar symptoms.
Tracey x
serina
20 Sep 2013 at 11:33PM
Thanks Tracey, all blood tests normal except vit d which was very low so i have been taking supplements my GP prescribed for couple of months now. neuro said probably everyone in this country had abnormal vit d levels. x
arwen
21 Sep 2013 at 8:57AM
Hi Serina my first neuro exam was start of 2009.
X

No comments:

Post a Comment