Monday 23 September 2013

"ms" hug, must be Atlas related

??"MS Hug"
Author
Post
Purpledot
22 Sep 2013 at 1:31PM
Hello there
I wonder if any of you lovely people would be able to give me an idea of the different ways in which the "MS hug" manifests itself, please?
I am not dx, but have had pain in my ribs for a week -10 days now, and it is in a band right around my torso, just under my bra line.  This whole area is also very tender to touch, and also feels tingly and itchy on and off.  I have also felt on and off as if it is very tight around this band, and feel as if I need to take a really deep breath to be able to fill my lungs with air properly.  The back muscles around this band also seem to go into spasm if I stand in one position for too long, or lift my arms up above a certain height for too long (eg: to chop veg at the kitchen counter).
I have also had random pains in my ribs below this band, and in the ribs in my chest, where I also have some areas that are very painful to touch.
These pains can be bad enough to wake me up at night.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you happy2

Reikiblossom
23 Sep 2013 at 9:45AM
I'd also be interested to know (like Purpledot, not diagnosed). About a year ago I had a slew of odd symptoms, including feeling a tight band around my solar plexus area. It felt like I was wearing a tight belt high up. I also had abdominal pains with constipation and was sent for an ultrasound but I was told at the time that it was clear. The band-like sensation eventually eased and went away.
A few months later I had a sudden tightening in my chest which made it hard to breathe - I just could not get a deep breath in. I panicked as I was getting my daughter ready for pre-school at the time. I could hardly bend down to help with her shoes. I hadn't done anything or moved differently so I don't know what set this off. Luckily, it gradually eased off so by the time I was walking home again it was much less.
That and a persistent yet intermittent tingle/stabbing/buzzing sensation at the back of my ribs under one shoulderblade and shooting pains in my chest. What's going on?! Purpledot, you have my sympathy!
melnic
23 Sep 2013 at 11:26AM
Hi There,
I can relate to both your post and totally empathise. I too had a terrrible spasm right under by rib cage which spasmed close to my heart, or at least it that's what it felt like. Next to giving birth that and the one I had in my pelvis has to be the worst two spasms i've had by far. It was so bad accross my chest that every spasm that came and went took my breath away and if ibreathed in or out or moved it made it worse, I ended up having tramadol and a relaxent from my G.p for a week until it subsided, the same thing happended in the pelvis area, initially they thought pendicitis, turned out it was an acute spasm both occasions lasted a little over a week. I am glad Igot tablets though I was able to cope well with that kinda pain.
Lets hope they'll be few and far between! xx
Gokr
23 Sep 2013 at 11:46AM
Hi guys
I'm possible MS - had symptoms officially for two years. I've had the hug at least 3 times that I can recall so hopefully I can help somewhat as to what it feels like.
Mine has generrally always affected the L side though it can go all the way round. Mine has been around the bra-line but I've also experienced the hug all the way up from my abdomen to under bra-line front and back.
It's like a tight crushing corset belt like sensation or an anaconda squeezing you. I also get the neuropathic pain with it so my clothes hurt and my skin burns in that area. I can't wear anything tight or belts or even my bra as this just makes it worse. At it's worse I screamed when my partner touched me there and couldn't sleep from being in so much pain from the bed touching my body. It can last anywhere from a few mintues to weeks/months. Can be constant or intermittent.
Things that helped are:
  1. hot waterbottle pressed against my back - this seemed to confuse and counteract the burning sensation.
  2. some people find wearing compression bandages useful (I didn't)
  3. Stretching
  4. Breathing exercises
Mine was made worse by
  1. car journies (all the bumping)
  2. Tight clothing.
  3. Eating very full meals
By all means the above isn't an exhaustive list - there are probably other things I've forgotten or others have tried.
HTH
Reemz
X
Purpledot
23 Sep 2013 at 2:36PM
Thank you so much for all the replies.  Sounds as if it could be the dreaded hug, so will make sure I mention it to the new Neuro when I see him.
I have also had niggly stomach pains and a tightness in my chest that I have put down to eating too much citrus fruit, but am wondering now if it is all the same thing.
It's scary when you get all these random pains, especially in the chest, but I suppose it's all par for the course with this 'limboland' in which many of us are living.
Thanks again for all the replies.
Anonymous
23 Sep 2013 at 4:14PM

http://www.ms-uk.org/jquery-accordion/images/ui-bg_flat_75_eeeeee_40x100...); background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238); color: rgb(68, 68, 68); border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; position: relative; top: 1px; overflow: auto; zoom: 1; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background-position: 50% 50%; background-repeat: repeat no-repeat;">Why does MS cause the hug or girdle effect?
This is a spasm-type symptom that is one of the more unusual effects of MS. Between each of our ribs are tiny muscles called intercostal muscles. These hold the ribs in place but provide flexibility at the same time. If these muscles go into spasm, the result can be uncomfortable or painful. This is sometimes referred to as ‘banding’. 
Effects
People with this symptom of MS describe a burning or tight sensation which spreads around the rib cage, causing a crushing feeling that can range from uncomfortable to very painful. Sometimes it is accompanied by pins and needles. Most commonly felt around the ribs, occasionally the effect is experienced in the hands or feet.
Treatments
Individuals with MS who experience the hug or girdle effect do not always have the same degree of intensity of pain. For some, it is no more than an uncomfortable feeling, which passes without the need for any treatment. Others, however, need pain relief to deal with the spasm. Analgesic cream, warmth and painkillers are all used to provide relief. Your medical professional will discuss how best to manage your pain and will bear in mind any other drugs you are taking

No comments:

Post a Comment