Saturday 16 November 2013

Its got to the point that Neurologists are causing more harm than good, by stressing them out

Help - diagnosed then undiagnosed????
Author
Post
16 Nov 2013 at 8:32PM
Hi - i hope someone can help and offer some advice.
I was diagnosed with Optic Neuritis in Feb this year from which my eye is still recovering.
Since then I have had intermittent episodes of weakness in my right leg - the usual heaviness, pins and needles, numbness resulting in my having to drag my leg along. These episodes have never lasted longer than a couple of hours and have then recovered.
On wednesday, this changed, the whole leg episode started and didn't end. I fell over twice and couldn't weight bear. I have a tight band feeling around my middle which feels like wearing a pair of spanx without the benefit of a flat tummy too! I was admitted to hospital on thursday and put on IV Steroids where my neurologist said clinically there was no doubt I had MS as I met the criteria of the NICE guidelines.
So that was a kick in the stomach - then however - i had a MRI of the Brain and C-Spine which showed no lesions so he says it may not be MS and we have to wait and see.
Has anyone else had this experience - I just feel in limbo and don't know what to do or where to go. I still can't walk and just need to know I am not the only one!
xxx

16 Nov 2013 at 9:18PM (new)
Hi,
When I was in hospital I was first diagnosed with CIS (clinically isolated syndrome) as it was my first episode with loss of feeling in my feet and other symptoms. I had a MRI of my brain and lumber puncture and both showed signs of inflammation. At the time I was told 95% chance I had MS and they advised me to wait on my next MRI as they wanted to be 100% sure before I was given the diagnosis of MS.
I had another scan and then was diagnosed and its very common not to get a diagnosis of MS with your first episode.
Your consultant with most likely do follow up check up to see if your symptoms change and how your recovering from this one.
I did feel like I was in limbo until I had my follow ups so your not alone and im sure lots of other people with comments saying the same as some people have waited years before they been given a full diagnosis.
Polly x

No comments:

Post a Comment