Monday 30 December 2013

2nd of pevious MSS boards Antibiotic post

whammel
30 Dec 2013 at 1:45PM
nindancer wrote:
After the time my GP told me that antibiotics were causing a physical nervous breakdown, I've avoided them like the plague, not funny when you start getting mysterious lumps and bumps. I didn't exactly overdose either, just a few courses in quick succession did very bad things to me.
It never ceases to amaze me how the "evangelists" seem to lose sight of the fact that MS is the enemy and not the methods we choose to treat it. I like what works and that often depends on individual circumstances, as your unpleasant experience clearly proves.

Nothing is straightforward with this pesky condition.

bandekafsh
30 Dec 2013 at 2:03PM
Hi Supaguy68,
I watched the YouTube video with great interest. Sarah's recovery is remarkable. It reminds me of the controversy over antibiotic treatment for stomach ulcers, and of the fact that every medical assumption can and should be challenged. The bacterial infection theory looks well worth following up. There will be resistance in the medical establishment, of course, but a serious large-scale trial should eventually conquer that resistance - if it can ever be funded, which I think is doubtful. 
So: thank you for bringing this stuff to our attention! Your excitement about it is understandable, as is your anger and frustration at the lack of progress with effective treatments for progressive forms of MS. 
I'd like to address a few of your points in more detail.
"I am Primary Progressive.  Nobody in the pharmaceutical industry is working on people like me." 
This is untrue. There is currently a lot of research work going on to find treatments for PPMS and SPMS. Maybe you haven't noticed it yet. It's well documented on the MS Society's website and publications.
"I have compared them to someone who is laying with their legs sprawled across a level crossing.  Even though they don't have a train timetable ... they know the train is gonna come ... and they know what it's gonna do.  I say "Get up!  Get off those tracks NOW!""
This is a very poor analogy. Death by being run over by a train on a level crossing is a sudden and very destructive business, whereas Progressive MS, as its name strongly suggests, is a progressive, a gradual thing and does not lead to a sudden instantaneous death. It's also unclear in the analogy what 'get off those tracks' translates to in terms of action in real life for those with MS.
"A decision has been made to boycot this thread en mass."
Do you have any evidence for this? How do you distinguish 'boycot' from 'reading without contributing'? I don't think you have any grounds for the assumption that this thread is being boycotted.
"Glad to learn that there is someone else here with enough gumption to get up while they can and get the ... out of the way of that that express steam train that's bearing down on you like a fire-breathing reaper."
This shows a level of rudeness not acceptable on this forum, and not justified by your clear anger about your situation and your perception that others do not share your point of view. 
"Sarah is not following this thread and will not be following it.  If you really want to know why I will post the link to show the descussion but she said that she found the people here just so rude."
I have always found these forums to be very courteous. The only rude contributions I have noticed in recent years have been your own, in this very thread. This is highly ironic.
"Maybe you are not deemed clever enough to discern valid comment for yourself. Ah well  ...  this is what you have all grown to accept!"
This is the type of rudeness I mean. I acknowledge that you feel excited, zealous, indeed, about the course of treatment you have embarked on, and I wish you well with it. But your excitement, and perhaps also your frustration, do not give you license to adopt a sneering tone, to denigrate and insult other members of this forum who may take a more cautious approach than your own, or who simply disagree with you. 
Regards,
Chris
 

No comments:

Post a Comment