Tuesday 27 August 2013

they need to stop misdiagnosing the young

19 year old with MS

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
19 year old with MS
Author
Post
Amyr_3
03 Aug 2013 at 3:50PM
Hi everyone,
I was told I had MS in September last year, a month after my 19th birthday. My main symptom is blurry vision in my right eye.
Since starting University this year, as a student nurse, I feel constantly drained with aching knees and legs. I don't know if this is a new symptom for myself or if I am just working too long and straining my legs. Has anyone else been in this situation? It is making me think is it worth pursuing this career or would I be better with a career which is less physical.
Also, how long after being diagnosed did it take to discuss possible treatment with the consultant? I feel that my eye sight is deteriorating but nothing is being offered to me.

Amy.
Shadowking
04 Aug 2013 at 8:42AM
I was diagnosed at 18, when I was in my 1st year at uni...7 (ok, nearly 8 :s) years later I've finished a 5 year degree and my subsequent training to become a dentist. Healthcare professions in my experience aren't bad places to be with ms, you just need to know when to have a little break, that's all.
As for your other point, I was offered medication quite early on, but declined it (to this day, never taken anything but herbal stuff). The criteria they usually use is 2 clear, separate episodes of relapse.
Chin up Amy!
SammieJo89
05 Aug 2013 at 10:38PM
Hi Amy
I also have also recently been diagnosed but at the age of 23. At my appointment with the neurologist she told me she didnt want to give me treatment as my MS is not severe but mainly because I am of a child bearing age and if I want to try for a baby I would have to come off the medication for 3-6 months before trying. This may be a reason that they havent offered you treatment.
As for your uni... Dont let the MS beat you!!!
Samkh24
06 Aug 2013 at 12:53AM
Hi everyone,
I had my first symptoms at the age of 18, around 2 years later I've been diagnosed with it :( still trying to come to terms with it, luckily I've got more important things going on like getting married next year so I've put it to the back of my mind!
Mine started by losing central vision in my right eye, then I lost my peripheral vision in my left eye. After two MRI's and loads of tests, I finally found out!
It's scary, I don't like to think about my future too much, there's too many what ifs. But I'm taking everyday as it comes.
I'm suffering from a lot of fatigue at the moment, I'm an assistant manager at a restaurant and do a lot of hours. But even after 2 hours I'm tired and feel week :( hopefully it will only last a few more weeks then ill be okay again. Hope everyone else is okay.
Sam x
Surfeinstain
14 Aug 2013 at 11:12PM
For me, it took 2 years until I got diagnosed with MS. I'm sure the doctors worked really hard, but down here - the technology isn't very "bright".
Also, It took another month until we consulted a right treatment for me :)
nevergiveup
22 Aug 2013 at 7:23PM
Hi Amy,
I was diagnosed 3 years ago aged 16, but battled on with my studies and have now just finished my first year at uni studying Medicine. I must say my legs have got a lot more tired and weaker this year due to my long hours and time spent standing up, never having previously had any trouble with them, so i probs know how you feel... my advice is be a pain in the bum to your consultant and hassle them til they start talking treatment with you! But if nursing is what you've always wanted to do, don't let MS stop you! there have been SO many days this year when my legs are completely dead and everyone is going out and i can't help but think about the fact that if i was doing another course with only 5 contact hours a week, then i'd probs be feeling a lottt healthier right now! ...but somehow i always remember that being a doctor is what i need to do, and for me its totally worth it, and im gonna stick at it til i get there! :) just remember to never be embarrassed to take breaks when you need it, take the lift even if your friends are taking the stairs and never be afraid to ask for help! :) :) :)
xxx
Amyr_3
26 Aug 2013 at 9:15PM
Thanks everyone, I didn't realise people had replied!
Literally 2 days after posting this I got a letter from the hospital saying they wanted to start me on treatment. I feel slightly disappointed that they are saying they can't do anything about my eye problem as it is too late.
I think we do have to be positive, I find myself wanting to take the stairs more than I used to as I think, one day I might not be able to walk etc. I have realised my limits when it comes to dancing on nights out, if I over do it my legs ache for days afterwards so I suppose it is a learning game and realising what I can and can't do compared to before my problems.
Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment