Sunday 5 April 2015

repost - auto-brewery syndrome

Saturday, 5 October 2013

Why Drs have not picked up on the Candida issues astounds me

If I eat a portion of rice I would suffer a hangover equivalent of having glugged three bottles of red wine the night before.
Matthew Hogg
Matthew Hogg, 34, suffers from a rare condition known as auto-brewery syndrome, where an overgrowth of yeast in his small intestine produces pure ethanol that is then absorbed directly into the bloodstream.

The condition went undetected for 20 years meaning he spent years being 'drunk' after eating highly starchy or sugary foods - even when he was at primary school.

He is unable to hold down a job, and has to stick to a very strict diet as even a small portion of rice makes him feel like he has drunk three bottles of wine.

Mr Hogg, from Middlesbrough, said: "Every time I eat bread, potatoes or starchy rice I produce 100 per cent proof drinking alcohol that travels around my body through my bloodstream - if I eat a portion of rice I would suffer a hangover equivalent of having glugged three bottles of red wine the night before.

"I have experienced symptoms from birth and during my childhood there were countless times I suffered 'drunkenness' without having consumed an alcoholic beverage.

"I was a stubborn teenager and wanted a normal life so I insisted on partying and drinking and after sailing through my GCSEs I had to scrape through my A-Levels to go to university.

"But soon after starting I dropped out - I had noticed I was getting drunk more easily and was suffering severe hangovers after most meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment