Tuesday 18 November 2014

PCOS andPlease Read! Candida - IMPORTANT!

  1. PCOS and CANDIDA - IMPORTANT! Please Read!!!
  2. You can read my whole story on my blog, but here is the "Reader's Digest condensed version."

    I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 2 years ago. I finally conceived for the first time in January after TTC for 18 months. At the time I was taking an herbal supplement called Diabetone Plus (alternative to Metformin-I can't tolerate Metformin) and progesterone to regulate my periods. Unfortunately I miscarried in March.

    My PCOS has primarily given me problems with irregular periods and infertility (because I wouldn't ovulate), weight gain, insulin resistance, and extremely high testosterone. I found a website - I will post the link below - by a woman whose story sounded exactly like mine, and it was all because of candida. There is a growing amount of evidence that PCOS, infertility, and miscarriage can be directly related to candida (yeast overgrowth in the gut). After reading that website I saw my naturopath about it, and he thought there was definitely something to it. He gave me Nystatin (anti-fungal prescription) and put me on a special candida diet.

    After a month of treatment with the Nystatin in April, my periods have been 28-29 days apart since (on their own without progesterone or other hormones), and my testosterone levels have gone from 121 to 27. I've also lost 12 pounds so far, and before no matter what diet I went on or how much I exercised I could not lose weight. My naturopath believes candida may have played a significant role in the miscarriage, not to mention my other PCOS symptoms as a whole. It's definitely worth looking into. If I can help anyone else with PCOS avoid the hardship and heartache I've been through, I feel some good has come out of this whole journey.

    Many doctors, especially mainstream ones, don't believe candida is a real condition. I can assure you it is from personal experience, but the symptoms are so widespread it makes it difficult to diagnose (or doctors will call it IBS, fibromyalgia, depression, PCOS, etc).

    List of symptoms: frequent vaginal yeast infections, white coated tongue, bloating, gas, burping, flatulence, constipation, alternate diarrhea and constipation, irritable when hungry, mucus in stool, flattened stool, frequent sore throats, bad breath, sore mouth, diarrhea, abdominal pain, indigestion, heartburn, infertility, miscarriage, hormonal problems, vaginal itch/burning, vaginal discharge, repeating cystitis, thrush, urinary urgency, burning on urination, PMS, painful periods, menstrual cramps, menstrual irregularities, lack of interest in sexual activity, sinus congestion, post nasal drip, tickly cough, dry mouth or throat, sore throat, wheezing, canker sores in mouth, allergies, nasal itching, pain, tightness in the chest, giddiness, spots in front of eyes, joint pains, joint swelling, headaches, mood swings, poor decision making, irritability, poor concentration, lack of motivation, brain fog, confusion, fatigue, lethargy, insomnia, lack of motivation, body odor after washing, cravings for bread, cheese, and sugar, sensitivity to smells, especially cleaning fluids, sensitivity to print ink, perfumes, brake fluid Paint, polish, cigarette smoke, adhesives, burning eyes, muscle pain/weakness, loss of confidence, crying without cause, anxiety, poor memory, itchy lumpy sore elbows, hemorrhoids, drowsiness, poor coordination, numbness, burning, tingling cold hands or feet, unexplained rashes, acne, hangover head in the morning, sensitivity to certain foods, hives, contact dermatitis, heart palpitations, etc...

    It's a very long list, which is again why mainstream doctors overlook it or completely dismiss it altogether. But I assure you it's very real and very serious.

    Everyone has candida in their digestive system. The problem occurs when the number of beneficial bacteria and candida in the gut get out of balance, and the candida start to take over. This imbalance can happen when you take artificial hormones such as the Pill or other hormonal birth control, if you've ever taken any antibiotics (because antibiotics kill all bacteria, not just bad strains), or if you eat a high carb, high sugar diet. It can also occur through taking immunosupressive drugs, stress, and if you consume caffeine. Also, if you are taking progesterone (like I did for 6 months), candida yeast thrive on progesterone, so you're really just making it worse if you do have candida. If you think you may have candida, don't hesitate to see a naturopath or a mainstream doctor who will listen and take you seriously. If left untreated, candida overgrowth can lead to serious complications like leaky gut syndrome (this happened to my sister, and now she has to stick to a very limited diet or else she gets very sick), colitis, and Crohn's disease, not to mention your PCOS symptoms.

    Feel free to contact me with any questions. I'm no doctor, but I am always willing to give what advice I can and answer questions!

    Here is the website about the connection between PCOS and candida: http://optimalhealth.homestead.com/pcos.html
  3.  

  • The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to jojopuff For This Useful Post:

    Almond (01-27-2012),Beautiful*sista (07-26-2011),BeccaZecca1 (01-23-2012),chanell222 (03-16-2012),Chenese (07-27-2011),CT314 (08-18-2014),enu0828 (07-29-2011),Faery Chaos (08-30-2011),Heatherxo (10-13-2013),joyshine (01-28-2012),KimberleyH (02-03-2014),Kiwee27 (09-21-2011),lady_b (08-14-2011),lilbugsmom (03-29-2014),mattsgirl27 (05-14-2014),mellie_b (07-30-2011),MNWWPCOS (08-15-2011),Mschin (06-29-2012),naturelover (03-22-2014),Phatty82 (03-13-2012),PollyPocket (02-28-2012),Rachel109 (04-24-2013),sheryl83 (07-19-2013),Smiley79 (02-05-2014),SookiesNique (07-18-2011),ssmf1983 (03-27-2014),Steph22 (06-24-2012),Ttcjen (01-15-2012),virtuouswoman34 (07-13-2011)

  • #2
    1. northwestgal is offline
    2. Registered User northwestgal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Thanks so much for your post! I’ve been looking EVERYWHERE on the internet about the link between PCOS and candida and it seems to be popping up more and more. The one thing I can’t find is if you can take Metformin (500mg once a day) and Candex (yeast control) at the same time?
    My last 2 cycles I was taking Candex and it looks like I ovulated (first time ever), but this month my doc put me on metformin and I stopped candex and so far absolutely nothing seems to be happening. I’m not sure if I should add candex back in or just try metformin alone? I just don't want ot mess anything up more than it already is. I’m a thin cyster with no IR (TTC 4yrs) and right now I’m taking Metformin 500mg, NAC 1200mg, baby asprin, fish oil, multi vit. Any advise would be great!

    1. #3
    1. jojopuff is offline
    2. PCOS Survivor jojopuff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    296
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 93 Times in 54 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Thanks for the reply! And you are very welcome!

    As for your question, I'm not a doctor and can't give out medical advise, but from what my naturopath said and everything I've been able to find, Candex is simply digestive enzymes and does not interact with any other medications. The only exception is if you are taking an extended-release medication because the Candex can "digest" the meds. I would take Candex at least 2 hours before meals or taking other medicine.

    Hope that helped!

    1. #4
    1. jojopuff is offline
    2. PCOS Survivor jojopuff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    296
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 93 Times in 54 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Advice* not advise lol

    1. The Following User Says Thank You to jojopuff For This Useful Post:

      ncb (04-29-2013)

    1. #5
    1. virtuouswoman34 is offline
    2. *SASHA'S MOMMY* virtuouswoman34's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,676
    Thanks
    660
    Thanked 201 Times in 191 Posts

    Default

    there is a cyster on here lacharubia... she told me about this... she has three children from keeping her yeast under control

    Married 2.14.09

    TTC since 7/5/09 (PCOS and Low Morph)

    DD born 3-29-12 (our femara miracle)Hidden Content


    Hidden Content




    1. #6
    1. virtuouswoman34 is offline
    2. *SASHA'S MOMMY* virtuouswoman34's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,676
    Thanks
    660
    Thanked 201 Times in 191 Posts

    Default

    as a matter of fact that homestead blog may actually be hers lol.. she sent me that link

    Married 2.14.09

    TTC since 7/5/09 (PCOS and Low Morph)

    DD born 3-29-12 (our femara miracle)Hidden Content


    Hidden Content




    1. #7
    1. GlitterStar is offline
    2. Lady of Leisure GlitterStar's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 67 Times in 48 Posts

    Default

    Hmm. Really interesting. I like that her blog has the link to the Vitamin Shoppe and we get 200 points. I always order from them anyway so might as well try it out. Wonder how long it takes to see results (if they're to be seen) with herbal candida treatments as opposed to prescription like Nystatin?

    1. #8
    1. northwestgal is offline
    2. Registered User northwestgal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for your help, so I am going to try candex and metformin at the same time. My Doc replied and said it shouldn't be a problem but also most docotrs don't believe in candida anyways....its worth a shot! I've read all the successes with one or the other but not both....so let see what happens!

    1. #9
    1. cmschapp is offline
    2. Registered User cmschapp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    722
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 95 Times in 76 Posts

    Default

    I wonder if there is a way to tell if you have this kind of problem. I haven't had a problem with yeast infections so I am not sure if this is something I should try or not.
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

    Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

    Hidden Content

    1. #10
    1. northwestgal is offline
    2. Registered User northwestgal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Hi cmschapp!
    There are tons of different signs of yeast problems, mine were mainly acne, dandruff and blotchy skin that would discolor in the sun. I went to the docotor YEARS ago about my skin and he said it was yeast growth and prescribed Nezoral a shampoo. The bloches went away but I never address my internal yeast probelm until now. I've never had a vaginal yeast inffection but I really react to breads, beers and sugars.

    1. #11
    1. cmschapp is offline
    2. Registered User cmschapp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    722
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 95 Times in 76 Posts

    Default

    Would it hurt if you took something like Candex or Yeast Defense and didn't have yeast over growth?
    Me 28 & DH 29
    Hidden Content Married 3/29/2008Hidden Content
    TTC #1 1/2010

    Supplements: Synergy Prenatal, Calcium Magnesium, Vitex, Cinnamon, Chromium, Inositol Powder, Kyo-Green, B-Complex Liquid, Vitamin D3, MK7, EPA-DHA, NAC, Vitamin E, Probiotic, Iodine, & NPC after ovulation

    Hidden Content

    1. #12
    1. Tammyms is offline
    2. Registered User Tammyms's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Edmonton AB
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Interesting! I've been told I have yeast in my body that I need to get rid of, of course not by my doctors! I end up with what feels like a yeast infection every month after I ovulate I looked into the Candex, is it ok to get online? And is it something you'd always have to take, or once you took it for a few months and symptoms went away would you be able to to stop?

    1. #13
    1. SookiesNique is offline
    2. Registered User SookiesNique's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fort Meade, Maryland
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    174

    Default

    Wow! Thanks! That's the kind of information I've been looking for in terms of the connection between yeast and PCOS.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment