Reversing Degenerative Disc Disease of the
Neck and Spine
Prevention, Treatment, Control and Spontaneous Healing
of the Neck, Cervical Discs, Vertebrae, Facet Joints, Ligaments,
Tendons, Muscles, and Spinal Misalignment.
Neck and Spine
Prevention, Treatment, Control and Spontaneous Healing
of the Neck, Cervical Discs, Vertebrae, Facet Joints, Ligaments,
Tendons, Muscles, and Spinal Misalignment.
News You Can Use
Description of Neck Components and Why it Hurts
Vertebrae - The bones of the neck that support the head are called cervical vertebrae. These seven vertebrae are identified as C1 through C7. A broken neck means that one or more of these bones has been broken or cracked. Each vertebra has a hole in the middle called the spinal canal through which the spinal cord passes from the brain down the full length of the spine. Nerve branches called nerve roots exit the spinal cord on either side near the back of the neck and continue to adjacent areas of the body. The top vertebra, C1, called the atlas, allows rotation of the head. The other vertebrae allow the head to tilt forward, backward and side to side, but with much less rotational freedom.On the top and bottom of the vertebra, in contact with the discs, are cartilaginous end plates. These surfaces can degenerate with fissures (cracks) that regenerate or heal with chondrocytes (cartilage cells) and granulation tissue (new connective tissue and tiny blood vessels that form on the surfaces of a wound during the healing process).A posterior (back) protrusion from the vertebra called the spinous processes allows for the attachment of tendons and muscles that control movement of the neck. Two other wing-like protrusions on either side of the posterior called the superior articular support a facet joint that mates with the adjacent vertebra.Vertebral pathology can be diagnosed using a standard X-ray, magnetic resonant imaging (MRI), or other scanning methods.Fractures - The vertebrae are bones that can fracture. Medical treatment is strongly recommended for fractures. The treatment may involve immobilization of the head and neck until the bone has healed. Other measures must be taken in extreme cases. Click on the link below about osteoporosis to see why protein, not calcium, is the key factor in the diet for the formation of strong bones. The program presented here builds very strong bones.Bone Spurs - The vertebrae can develop abnormal growths called bone spurs that impinge nerves, ligaments, or the adjacent vertebrae, causing pain. Excess calcium consumption and supplementation are the primary causes of bone spurs, especially when the diet is deficient in magnesium. The standard treatment for bone spurs is surgical removal.Misalignment - Vertebral discs can tear away from the adjacent vertebrae causing a misalignment. Medical treatment may include realignment and immobilization of the head and neck until reattachment by natural healing has occurred. This condition is not called a slipped disc, although the term seems to fit the condition. Pinched nerve roots can cause the muscles to pull and hold the neck in a condition of constant misalignment in an attempt to relieve the pain. These muscles can quickly become cramped and painful themselves.Discs - The cervical discs are shaped like a hockey puck, basically round with a flat surface on the top and bottom. Each disc has a gelatinous center called the nucleus pulposus, surrounded by the anulus fibrosus. The semi-liquid gel in the center allows the disc to better absorb shock loads and to tilt, forming a wedge shape during the movement of the neck. The anulus fibrosus gradually becomes more dense and stronger at the periphery. Changes in the composition of the disc are gradual without any abrupt demarcation areas.The disc is composed of protein collagen and proteoglycans (chondroitin-6-sulfate, keratan sulfate, hyaluronic acid, and chondroitin-4-sulfate). A normal disc is 80% water held within the cells. A reduction in the amount of water results in a thinning of the disc.Each disc is rigidly attached by Sharpey's fibers to the adjacent vertebrae on the top and bottom along the outer edge called the epiphyseal ring. The disc is also connected to anterior (front side) and posterior (back side) longitudinal ligaments. The discs are located between the vertebra in front of the spinal canal. The discs do not slip or slide on the vertebrae as many people erroneously believe. Each disc grows and adheres tightly to the adjacent vertebra on top and bottom and has a strong, fibrous outer body that can suffer from hernias (bulges), fissures (tears or cracks), and total rupture (extrusion of the nucleus pulposus in which the gelatinous center is squeezed out).Cervical disc disease is most likely to occur in the lower neck, where the vertebrae are identified as C5-6 and C6-7. The following are some of the typical problems.Thinning - The vertebral discs can become thinner by desiccation (water loss), catabolism (devouring oneself) of the collagen by the body, poor posture, poor working environment, improper bed, heavy head gear, and/or poor diet. Unless it is severe, the thinning of the disc may not produce any symptoms, but this thinning reduces the spacing between the vertebrae. Thinning discs can cause misalignment of the vertebrae and facet joints, pinched nerves, stressed ligaments, muscle tension, cramps or spasms, and the abrasion of adjacent vertebrae, thereby causing pain. This program can stop the thinning and increase disc height to restore normal, pain-free function. In extreme cases, the entire disc virtually disappears, causing the adjacent vertebrae to fuse or grow together. This program will not restore a disc that has been completely catabolized by the body. Disc thinning can be diagnosed using a standard X-ray, MRI, or other scanning methods.Herniated Disc - Herniation of the disc occurs when the outer fibrous band begins to bulge outward, a condition sometimes referred to as a slipped disc. In reality the disc has not slipped out of place. The bulge of the herniated disc can impinge on or compresses the spinal cord, causing pain. Surgery may include removal of the bulging area to relieve the impingement. The program presented here can also reduce the herniation and relieve symptoms. A herniated disc can be caused by poor posture, poor working environment, improper bed, heavy head gear, shock loads, and/or poor diet. Disc herniation can be diagnosed using an MRI or other scanning methods, but not by a standard X-ray.Ruptured Disc - A rupture of the disc occurs when the herniation continues until the gel (nucleus pulposus) in the center of the disc is extruded out of a crack in the disc at the herniation. The extrusion of the nucleus pulposus is sometimes called the "squeezed toothpaste" effect. The extruded nucleus pulposus can impinge on the spinal cord and/or the nerve roots causing severe pain. Spinal cord nerve damage can cause pain and tingling in distant parts of the body below the damage point as far away as the legs, feet, and toes. The program presented here cannot restore the disc gel back to the center of the disc. Once the nucleus pulposus has been extruded from the disc it must be surgically removed in order to relieve symptoms. Disc rupture can be diagnosed using an MRI or other scanning methods but not by a standard X-ray.Warning! Immediate surgery should be undertaken within a few days to relieve the impingement on the spinal cord because it can cause permanent nerve damage. Insist on an MRI scan if you have the slightest suspicion of a disc rupture. Do not depend on simple muscle tests even when performed by a doctor. A delay in surgery can result in a permanent lifetime disability as many sufferers have sadly discovered.Facet Joints - The facet joints are contact joints between vertebrae. The cervical vertebrae have wing-like protrusions that contain the facet joints at the ends. The sliding surfaces of the joints can become damaged from osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. The program presented here gently pulls the joint apart to allow nourishment and healing and can also calm the autoimmune system attack that causes inflammation in arthritic joints. The diet presented in this program provides full nutritional requirements needed for healing and regeneration.Ligaments - The facet joints are surrounded by ligaments that allow movement of the joint but restrict the degree of movement. Ligaments also span from vertebra to vertebra to surround the disc and keep the bones in proper alignment. These ligaments can become torn or strained causing pain. The preferred treatment is a restriction in the load and movement to allow normal healing. Realignment of the neck is also essential. The program presented here promotes the healing of torn ligaments, and it will keep healthy ligaments flexible and nourished for optimum health and strength.Muscles and Tendons - The entire area of the neck is a mass of muscles and tendons which provide control and strength. These muscles and tendons can become torn or strained resulting in pain. The preferred treatment is a restriction in the load and movement to allow normal healing. The program presented here promotes the healing of torn muscles and tendons, and it will keep healthy muscles and tendons flexible and nourished for optimum health and strength. A look at the neck of an animal in the meat department of the supermarket will quickly reveal the massive muscle, tendon, and ligament structures surrounding the bones.The program recommended to rebuild the back is very similar to the program presented here. The following link will open a web page with a program written specifically for reversing degenerative disc disease of the back.My father had trouble with his back for years and so did two other family members. I strained my back every time I lifted something that was a little heavy, and at other time it seemed like my back was injured for no reason at all. Now I am as strong as a bull. Check out this video where I am me splitting wood and lifting a very big log.Kent R. Rieske, Author of Books and Websites
Splitting Wood and Lifting Logs
I Developed This Program That Reversed My Degenerative Neck Disease
My Neck X-Rays Taken 3 Months
Before This Treatment Began
My Neck X-Rays Taken 3 Months
After This Treatment Began
Symptoms - Decreased disc thickness C4 through C7. Pain in left hand. Tingling in fingers of the left hand. Neck pain while walking, sitting, and driving a car. A restriction of many regular activities.
Curvature - The concave curvature of the neck before treatment was 12.78 degrees. The reduced curvature is a symptom of reduced cervical disc thickness.
MD Diagnostic Imaging Report - "Abnormal cervical curve, misaligned segments, and a phase 2 degeneration of the cervical discs."
Results - An increase in thickness of disc C4-5 of 27%, C5-6 of 31% and C6-7 of 30%. This is an awesome improvement. No pain in the left hand. No tingling in the fingers of the left hand. No neck pain while walking, sitting or driving a car. A complete resumption of all regular activities.
Curvature - The concave curvature of the neck after treatment is 13.21 degrees. The increase in the curvature of the neck shows the thickness of the cervical discs have increased by this program to reduce degenerative disc disease.
MD Diagnostic Imaging Report - "Frontal and lateral views of the cervical spine demonstrate normal cervical alignment. The vertebral body heights are adequately maintained. Moderate to marked discogenic degenerative changes are seen most notably at C5-C6 and C6-C7 without significant posterior osteophytic ridging. The atlantoaxial relationship and odontoid are normal."
Nearly all of the popular alternative medicine recommendations that are intended to reverse degenerative disc disease actually make it worse, as many unhappy sufferers can testify. Two good examples are exercise and Yoga. Exercises do not rebuild the neck. Yoga does not rebuild the neck for reasons explained below. A vegetarian diet will make neck problems worse, not better, as many sufferers have sadly discovered.All of the steps in the following protocol are required to reverse degenerative disc disease. Do not pick or choose only one or a few of the following steps while ignoring the others. Eliminating one or more of these steps will most likely make the program completely ineffective.
Step 1 - Shut Down the Catabolic Hormones.Most people have heard that adrenalin and cortisol tend to pep you up and make you ready to fight, but they haven't a clue as to the destructiveness of these catabolic hormones to the body, especially the spine (neck and back). Most professional medical doctors, nutritionists, physical therapists, chiropractors, naturopathic practitioners, Chinese medicine practitioners, and others do not understand the connection between diet, catabolic hormones, and degenerative neck disease; therefore, they will not understand or agree with this program.The level of cortisol can be measured by a simple test and discussed with your doctor of endocrinology.One of the major reasons for degenerative back and neck disease is a diet high in carbohydrates. The high-carbohydrate diet can causes an increase in the blood insulin level, which triggers an increase in the catabolic hormones, causing the body to literally eat itself. Unfortunately, the spine is the first to suffer when the catabolic hormones scavenge protein from the spine for redirection to the legs and arms as needed for the "fight or flight" emergency response. A catabolic metabolic state is brought on by hyperinsulinemia (high blood insulin level) after the excess consumption of carbohydrates by people with insulin resistance. Prescription drugs cannot prevent bone loss in the presence of the powerful catabolic hormones produced by the body during hyperinsulinemia. Taking drugs that promise to prevent osteoporosis will not work. The diet suggested here is vital for the body's rebuilding of bones and the prevention of bone loss.Hyperinsulinemia also causes magnesium and calcium to be excreted in the urine. The high-carbohydrate diet recommended by the USDA Food Guide Pyramid actually leads to hyperinsulinemia and degenerative disc disease. The bones are literally flushed out of the body in the urine, resulting in the current epidemic of osteoporosis in all English-speaking countries. Women are more at risk because they avoid meat and fat. Women tend to follow official diet recommendations more closely than men. This causes women to eat more carbohydrates than men and therefore suffer more from osteoporosis, diabetes, and cancers that are not related to smoking. Women are the primary dietary leaders in the home. They generally do the supermarket shopping and cooking. This trend is destroying the health of the entire family as seen in the recent obesity epidemic in both children and adults.In summary, a high-carbohydrate diet as recommended by the USDA Food Guide Pyramid and vegetarians causes insulin resistance that leads to hyperinsulinemia. A scientific study of these adrenal hormones proves that carbohydrates cause bone loss, osteoporosis, and degenerative spine disease, because the high-insulin response causes an increase in cortisol and adrenalin. An excessively high cortisol level causes the demineralization of bones. Eating whole grains, sugar, honey, fruit, fruit juice, fructose, lactose, and starches causes osteoporosis and degenerative spine disease. Milk and yogurt do not prevent osteoporosis. These high lactose (sugar) foods are actually a part of the problem. Hard cheeses are very good for the bones because they contain lots of good protein and fat without any lactose.
The Instant Osteoporosis Cycle
The author has coined the phrase "Instant Osteoporosis Cycle" (IOC) to describe the sudden onset and escalation of osteoporosis. This occurs in the cycle between hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and diabetes (high blood sugar). Hypoglycemia is caused by the insulin resistance of the cells, during which time the pancreas produces a high level of insulin to force glucose into the cells. The insulin stays at an abnormally high level, which triggers the adrenal gland to secrete cortisol and adrenalin in an attempt to force down the insulin level. Cortisol and adrenalin are very strong catabolic hormones, meaning they are involved in breaking down body tissue. This catabolic action on the bones causes bone loss, osteoporosis, and degenerative disc disease in as little as one year. Once diabetes becomes full blown, the pancreas stops producing insulin and the cycle stops, but insulin injections can cause the same effect. Very obese females receive some degree of protection because body fat produces estrogen, which is one of the anabolic hormones that stimulates the building up of the body. This is the reason hormone replacement therapy is claimed to protect the bones. However, the estrogen effect is marginal at best and not the suggested method for preventing osteoporosis. Eating protein and fat while avoiding carbohydrates induces the production of the hormone glucagon which is the best way to protect bones. Eating carbohydrates like sugar, honey, whole grains, starches, and fruit causes osteoporosis.
Eating a low-carbohydrate diet brings unhealthy body processes caused by insulin, adrenalin, and cortisol to a screeching halt. All humans react in the same way. People are not different from each another as the myth implies. The variable among people is the amount of damage already done to the body by carbohydrates and insulin. This damage is incorrectly diagnosed as genetic.The scientific proof that insulin causes many "age-related" diseases is beyond question, yet the professional medical practitioners rarely measure the insulin level in patients. Most diabetics have never had their insulin levels measured by their doctor. Professional heart disease organizations rarely mention insulin as a heart disease risk or promote a low-insulin diet as a method of preventing heart disease. The carbohydrate - glucose - insulin cycle is getting away with mass murder while these professional organizations are saying, "Don't eat red meat or saturated fat." A few brave individuals like Dr. Robert C. Atkins and Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades have promoted the science of health while enduring a constant assault from professional organizations like the American Heart Association (AHA) and American Medical Association (AMA). Professional medicine almost universally ignores mountains of scientific evidence in favor of unproven myths.The diet program presented here will positively stop the body's production of the destructive hormones, adrenalin and cortisol. Follow the high-protein, high-fat and low-carbohydrate diet program presented in my following book:
Don't bother reading any further if you are a vegetarian or if you refuse to eat the high-protein, high-fat, low-carbohydrate bodybuilding diet recommended here.
Step 2 - Stop Taking Immune System Suppressing DrugsImmunosuppressant corticosteroid drugs are commonly prescribed for the treatment of several dozen autoimmune diseases including Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and Lupus. These drugs can cause degenerative disc disease. Corticosteroid drugs suppress the immune system and therefore increase the frequency or severity of infections and decrease the effectiveness of vaccines and antibiotics. Corticosteroid drugs may cause osteoporosis that results in fractures of bones in as little as one year. These drugs must not be taken if degenerative disc disease is to be avoided. These immunosuppressant drugs are very powerful and will most certainly overpower the treatment presented here. You should discuss the side effects of the drugs you are taking with your doctor and follow the necessary steps to stop taking the drug.Take a course of a good antibiotic like Keflex to insure that the neck problem is not from a bacterial infection. The following report about bacterial infections in the back also apply to the neck."Specialists who deal with back pain have long known that infections are sometimes to blame, but these cases were thought to be exceptional. That thinking has been overturned by scientists at the University of Southern Denmark who found that 20% to 40% of chronic lower back pain was caused by bacterial infections."Read the two web pages below to learn about drugs, dosages, and duration. You must self- educate if you are going to self- medicate. Make an appointment with your doctor if you need professional healthcare.GlobalRPh.com
Click on "Wound Infection" box and go from there.Symptoms of autoimmune diseases are triggered in flare-ups because of certain offensive foods in the diet. Most sufferers live in a constant state of flare-ups because they don't know which foods in their diets are offensive. These foods must be discontinued and a proper autoimmune disease diet followed religiously in order to get off the immunosuppressant drugs. Fortunately the proper diet for controlling autoimmune diseases and preventing degenerative disc disease are almost identical. The following web pages provide a detailed description of autoimmune diseases and the diet to be followed.
Step 3 - Eat a High-Protein and High-Fat DietVegetarians continue to blame red meat and saturated fat for osteoporosis and degenerative disc disease, but one of the biggest secrets in the nutrition-health debate is the epidemic of degenerative spine disease among vegetarians. This trend is most notable in long-term religious vegetarians like Seventh-Day Adventists. The destruction of the bones gives the appearance that the disease is "age-related" because it takes many years. This is not true. People taking immunosuppressant drugs frequently develop degenerative disc disease as early as age 25.The tensile strength of vertebrae depends on the collagen matrix that is made of protein, not the calcium and magnesium mineral deposits in the bone. The ligaments, tendons, and muscles are all made entirely from protein and fat. Eating a diet high in protein from red meat, fish, fowl, seafood, and hard cheese will produce strong bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles and will prevent and reverse degenerative spine disease. Professional bodybuilders are the most avid promoters of a high-protein diet. It is a long established scientific fact that protein is essential to build and heal bones, tendons, ligaments, and muscle. Muscles are not made from fruit and vegetables. You cannot reverse degenerative disc disease by eating whole grains, soy, legumes, starches, carbohydrates, sugar, fruit, and vegetables or by consuming high-lactose drinks like cows' milk, rice milk, or soy milk. The diet presented here to assist in reversing degenerative disc disease consists primarily of animal protein and animal fats obtained by eating fresh red meat, fish, fowl, seafood, and shellfish. A few low-carbohydrate vegetables are allowed simply to make one feel psychologically normal.
The body is not made from carbohydrates as found in whole grains, fruit, sugar, honey, milk, cereals, pasta, bread, or starchy vegetables like potatoes. The scientific dietary requirement for carbohydrates in the diet is zero, none. The "daily value" (DV) of carbohydrates as shown on food nutritional labels is scientifically false and harmful in actual practice. The percentage of carbohydrates in the diet for optimal health is zero -- none. The amount of carbohydrates in the neck bones, ligaments, nerves, tendons, and muscles is zero -- none. All carbohydrate foods are empty calories. No carbohydrates are good for you. Don't believe the "good carbs - bad carbs" chant that is pure nonsense. Some carbohydrates are bad, and the rest are dreadful. The zero carbohydrate diet that Eskimos have eaten for centuries before the appearance of white men has proven this scientific fact. Professional health and dietary organizations consistently ignore the harmful effects of carbohydrates and lie about the health benefits of red meat and saturated animal fats. This is why obesity, cancer, heart disease, autoimmune disease, and degenerative disc disease are all epidemic disasters that threaten to bankrupt all English-speaking countries.Step 4 - Anti-Inflammatory Herbal and Healing Supplements"This Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement has been formulated to provide support for joints. Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfates are important naturally occurring structural components of healthy joints, ligaments, bones and synovial fluid.
Glucosamine Sulfate is the most popular and researched form of Glucosamine and is complexed with Potassium to enhance stability. We test our Glucosamine Sulfate to assure that it is fully and properly reacted. Our Chondroitin Sulfate is derived from bovine sources and is among the highest purities available."
- Contains Glucosamine (as Glucosamine Sulfate Complex) 1500 mg
- Chondroitin Sulfate (Bovine Cartilage) 1200 mg
- Potassium (as Potassium Chloride) 198 mg5-Loxin Boswellia Serrata Extract 150 mg. Boswellia Serrata Extract has been used for centuries as an anti-inflammatory to relieve pain and discomfort of the neck, back, connective tissues, joints, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, other inflammatory bowel diseases, asthma and other autoimmune diseases. The active ingredient is acetyl-11-keto-beta-boswellic acid (AKBA). This product is standardized for a minimum of 30% (45mg) of AKBA. Research has shown it to be about as effective as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) in reducing pain, cramps, and discomfort.Turmeric Extract with Bioperin 900 mg. Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is an ancient spice native to India and Southeast Asia, best known for its distinctive flavor and yellow color. It is used in curries and some prepared mustards. Besides being a food additive, turmeric has been used for centuries in Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani, and other traditional medicines as a remedy for stomach and liver ailments.
Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, contains a mixture of powerful phytonutrients known as curcuminoids. Curcuminoids have antioxidant properties, meaning they fight the damaging effects of free radical molecules in the body.
Curcuminoids may play a part in blocking a key biological pathway that causes damage to cells and may lead to their unhealthy, unrestrained growth¹. They shut down nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kB), known to regulate expression of more than 300 genes that promote inflammatory responses which lead to joint inflammation and cell damage. NSI® Turmeric Extract with Bioperine® is standardized to 95% curcuminoids.Enzymatic Therapy Saventaro Max-Strength Cat's Claw -- 20 mg - 90 Caps. The beneficial pentacyclic oxindole alkaloids (POAs) in cat's claw has been shown to help control inflammation, soothe irritated tissue of the gastrointestinal tract, and improve the immune system because of its antioxidant properties. Refined cat's claw is necessary in order to remove the undesirable tetracyclic oxindole alkaloids (TOAs).
- Saventaro is patented, clinically studied and guaranteed to benefit both the natural and acquired immune systems.
- It's the first and only Cat's Claw product made from the root of the Uncaria tomentosa plant, where beneficial POAs (pentacyclic oxindole alkaloids) are 200% more concentrated than in the bark. Saventaro is standardized for a minimum of 1.3% POAs.
- It's the first and only product guaranteed 100% free of TOAs (tetracyclic oxindole alkaloids). Contamination by as little as 1% TOAs cause a 30% reduction in the acquired immune benefits that POAs provide.
Step 5 - Human Growth Hormone Boost Using Amino Acid Therapy
Bodybuilders eat a high-protein diet and supplement the diet with additional protein powder in order to build body mass, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and bones. This practice has been proven to be correct over several decades of testing and refinement in the diets of millions of bodybuilders. The science behind the high-protein diet confirms the results found in actual practice.TNT DIET - Targeted Nutrition Tactics
by Jeff Volek, Ph.D., RD and Adam Campbell, Men's Health Magazine
The explosive new plan to blast fat, build muscle, and get healthy.The TNT Diet is a great book for bodybuilders and everyone else who wants to preserve and build lean muscle while controlling body fat. This book is a must read for anyone on the low-carbohydrate diet.Diet and Exercise Step No. 1 - Eat the ultra low-carbohydrate diet to control weight and before doing the intense exercise program in Step No. 2 below. Most exercise books recommend a high-carb diet before the exercise in order to fuel the muscles. This is backward for controlling body fat and building lean muscle as discussed in the TNT Diet book listed above. Meat provides the full compliment of all essential and non essential amino acids needed to heal the neck and back without adding undesirable carbohydrates to the diet. Vegetarian foods such as whole grains, soy, and legumes do not fulfill these requirements and are unacceptable substitutes. Fats are a good choice in Step No. 1 where carbohydrates are kept low.Diet and Exercise Step No. 2 - Perform a high-intensity exercise program such as weight lifting, biking, or climbing stairs. Do this program for 15 minutes only. Longer programs are bad because they elevate the catabolic hormones adrenaline and cortisol which break down the body. Jogging is a poor choice. Concentrate on the legs because these muscles are so much larger than other muscles of the body. This program is intended to quickly burn the glycogen (muscle glucose storage) out of the muscles. The muscles should suddenly become weak as the glycogen has been expended. Keep going for the full 15 minutes. The muscles will switch to burning fat for energy. Perform the exercise program five to seven times per week.
- Lift weights with periods of intense effort and rest (called reps). Concentrate on the legs but use other body muscles as well.
- Ride a bike on a circular course with medium uphill sections followed by downhill for resting. This functions like reps as well.
- Hike stairs in a circular fashion with two levels up followed by two down for resting. This functions like reps as well.Diet and Exercise Step No. 3 - Follow the exercise program with a high protein snack and some carbohydrates. You can also prepare a protein and L-glutamine drink as described below to supplement a snack of meat or fish. Take about 50 - 100 calories of carbohydrates to stimulate an insulin rush. The insulin is anabolic (builds the body). The insulin stimulates the body to use the amino acids to build muscle, tendons, ligaments, vertebrae discs, etc. Carbohydrates are generally not recommended on this website, but they are recommended for this special method of bodybuilding. Avoid milk, grains, and legumes. Acceptable carbohydrates are:
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes, or yams.
- Fried pork skins with a little honey.
- Ice cream, although the fat is less desirable in this step.
- Fruit can be added to the whey protein powder shake listed below.Scientific Facts Behind This Body Rebuilding ProgramThe low-carb diet in Step No. 1 causes the body to deplete the stores of glucose in the liver and to deplete the stores of carbohydrates in the digestive tract. This is the opposite of the "carb loading" technique that turns bikers and marathon runners into "skeletons" of moving skin, tendons, and bones as a result of the catabolic depletion of muscle mass. The bodies of bikers and marathon runners actually consume the muscles as an energy source. This is why professional bikers and marathon runners are exceedingly skinny. They also become addicted to the destructive adrenaline rush. This program does the opposite. It builds muscles, tendons, ligaments, and vertebral discs to provide a strong, healthy body.The exercise in Step No. 2 further depletes the glycogen (glucose) in the muscles. It also sets the muscles into a rebuilding mode because of the work done on the muscle cells. This work must be short but strenuous as typically done by bodybuilders, not runners.The high-protein, low-fat diet in Step No. 3 has a moderate carbohydrate intake to promote a modest insulin rush. The insulin promotes anabolic rebuilding of the body. The glucose produced from the digestion of the carbohydrates is used to restore the depleted stores of glucose in the liver and to restore the glycogen in the muscles. These empty glucose stores prevent the dietary carbohydrates from being converted to body fat. Therefore, the program promotes rebuilding of the body without gaining body fat.Bodybuilders typically eat a lot of meat as a high-quality protein source. They also supplement the diet with protein powder drinks and shakes. Whey protein powder contains all of the essential and non-essential amino acids necessary to build a healthy neck and spine. The product listed below is made from the whey protein of cows' milk. All of the lactose (milk sugar) has been stripped from the product during manufacture. It is pre-digested using special healthy bacteria to breakdown the protein molecules into the individual amino acids and branch-chain amino acids. The amino acids can pass through the intestinal-blood barrier in the human intestinal tract to quickly become available for healing the body and building bone collagen, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Extra L-glutamine (glutamine) amino acid is also recommended.Protein and L-Glutamine Drink. Prepare a drink made with whey amino acid protein powder which is enriched with extra glutamine amino acid. The protein powder consists of a full compliment of amino acid isolates that heal the body and require no digestion. Prepare the drink by blending 8 to 16 oz of reverse osmosis with UV lamp water or unsweetened, low-sodium tomato juice with 1 heaping teaspoon (12 gm) of whey protein powder plus 1 rounded teaspoon (8 gm) of glutamine amino acid powder. Stirring vigorously with the teaspoon is sufficient. The whey protein must be specified on the carton as isolates from cross flow microfiltration and ion-exchange, ultrafiltered concentrate, low molecular weight, and partially hydrolyzed whey protein peptides rich in branched chain amino acids and glutamine peptides. The low-carbohydrate type at 1 gm per scoop or less is best, but it should not be more than 4-5 gm of carbohydrates per scoop. Do not substitute protein from soy, egg, casein, or any other source. Sugar or any other sweetener is unacceptable. Use the "natural flavor" without additives. This amino acid drink can be enjoyed anytime with or without a meal. Amino acids are foods that build and maintain the body. Refrigerate whey protein powder and discard if it is old. Whey protein powder can cause some gas and an unusually "full" feeling. Discontinue the whey protein powder if the reactions are unpleasant. Continue to take the glutamine powder.
L-Glutamine Amino Acid.
Ultimate Lo Carb Whey Powder - Natural Flavor by Biochem.
Amino Acids - The Building Blocks of Life and Healing.This combination of amino acids has been shown to provide the following healing properties:
- Provides pain killing effects by healing the nervous system.
- Absorption of body building amino acids without requiring digestion.
- Stimulates insulin like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) which functions similarly to insulin and enhances protein synthesis and healing.
- Fights infections by stimulating the immune system. All immune cells are made from poly-peptides of amino acids.
- Provides bone growth of protein collagen and strengthens bones. Poor digestion has been shown to cause osteoporosis and degenerative bone disease.
- Provides all of the amino acids required to heal and grow ligaments, tendons, joints, muscles, intestinal tract, heart muscle, and all other organs of the body.
- Prevents hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) symptoms in people with hypoglycemia or diabetes.Building Strong Ligaments, Tendons, Collagen, Joints, Bones, Skin, Veins, and ArteriesThree amino acids are essential in building strong ligaments, tendons, collagen, joints, bones, skin, veins, and arteries. L-glycine, L-proline, and L-lysine work together to form strong protein structures that have the appearance of a twisted three-strand rope. Together these three amino acids form the strongest tissues in the body. Tendons connect muscles to bones to transfer the power of the muscles into the skeleton of the body. Ligaments connect bone to bone for keeping two or more bones in the joint together in proper alignment while allowing flexibility for movement of the joint components. The collagen matrix in bone provides the tensile strength that keeps bones from breaking. L-glycine is readily abundant in the diet, but L-proline and L-lysine should be supplemented to insure an abundant supply for building a strong, robust body.L-Proline Amino Acid Supplement. L-Proline is an amino acid that is essential for the synthesis of collagen, the most abundant protein in mammals. Collagen is the main structural protein that constitutes all human connective tissues, including skin, tendons, ligaments, joints, bone, and vasculature (veins and arteries). L-Proline therefore provides building blocks that help to stabilize and strengthen the structural components of the body. Although proline can be made in the body, low protein and vegetarian diets may not provide optimal support for the production of collagen. This is vitally important supplement to build strong joints and spine. L-Proline is very popular among bodybuilders as a supplement that will prevent joint injuries from workouts and everyday life. Take at least two 500mg tablets or more per day.
L-Proline Amino Acid.L-Lysine Amino Acid Supplement. L-Lysine is an essential amino acid, which means your body cannot manufacture it. It must be obtained through the diet or by supplementation. Lysine is one of the most well known amino acids and is an essential component of all proteins. L-Lysine is an amino acid that is essential for building strong ligaments, tendons, collagen, joints, bones, veins, and arteries. L-lysine has the added benefit of suppressing viruses in the body as has been proven in scientific studies. Take at least two 1000mg tablets or more per day.
L-Lysine Amino Acid.Essential Fatty AcidsOmega-3 Essential Fatty Acids. The three most nutritionally important omega-3 fatty acids are alpha-linolenic fatty acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic fatty acid (DHA). Alpha-linolenic fatty acid is one of two fatty acids traditionally classified as "essential." The other fatty acid traditionally viewed as essential is an omega-6 fat called linoleic acid. These fatty acids have traditionally been classified as “essential” because the body is unable to manufacture them on its own and because they play a fundamental role in several physiological functions. As a result, we must be sure our diet contains sufficient amounts of both alpha-linolenic acid and linoleic acid.The body also uses amino acids to create human growth hormone. The creation of human growth hormone in the elderly is very limited. Therefore, you must supplement the diet with the addition of these amino acids to give the body an extra boost. A protein deficiency is one of the major causes of degenerative disc disease. The body cannibalizes amino acids from the spine in its search for amino acids to satisfy other body functions.Warning! Many products are sold with claims that they boost the human growth hormone. Most of these claims are false. The human growth hormone is large and cannot be taken orally because the large molecule cannot pass through the intestinal-blood barrier of the gut. The body simply digests the hormone, breaking it down into the individual amino acids from which it is made. Supplemental products containing HGH (human growth hormone) are a fraud. They do not work. Injections of synthetic human growth hormone were thought to be a great anti-aging discovery. The injected hormone did perform miracles, but it was soon discovered that it also caused many types of cancer. Do not take HGH supplements or HGH injections.Protein, L-Glutamine and Serotonin-Boost Evening Drink. Prepare a protein and L-glutamine drink one hour before bedtime as described above, except use 8 oz. of reverse osmosis water. Add one banana and two unsweetened, large strawberries. Mix in a high-speed, power blender. Take one L-Tryptophan and one P5P capsule with this protein drink. This combination promotes healing and calms autoimmune disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, that is commonly involved in degeneration of the spine.L-Tryptophan and P5P. <== Very Important. Emotions and mood swings, such as excitement, anxiety, and depression can have very negative effects on the body, including high blood pressure, high heart pulse rate, poor digestion, constipation, or diarrhea. The combination of these supplements is a major breakthrough in digestive health and the treatment of all autoimmune diseases. It works by calming the digestive system, hormones, and all autoimmune diseases. The combination of NSI L-Tryptophan (an essential amino acid) and vitamin P5P (pyridoxal-5-phosphate, a form of vitamin B6) promotes healing of the digestive system. P5P is needed to convert L-tryptophan to serotonin. The serotonin calms digestion and the immune system. Serotonin promotes sound sleep and can be the cure for insomnia, an awesome side benefit. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter involved in the regulation of mood. Take one 500mg L-tryptophan capsule and one 50mg P5P capsule with the protein drink. Do not substitute 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan (5-HTP) for the pure pharmaceutical L-tryptophan recommended here. The body does react to them in the same way. Do not substitute vitamin B6 for the P5P. It is not the same. These two supplements may not be available at your local vitamin store. Click the links above to buy them via mail order on the Internet or telephone. Do not skip this important new alternative treatment for all autoimmune diseases.
Step 6 - Take Do-it-Yourself Stem Cell Therapy
Yes, you can take do-it-yourself stem cell therapy. However, the products referenced below are expensive, and the effectiveness is unproven. Try one of the products in addition to all of the other steps if you want to be assured of every possible help method. Skip this stem cell therapy step if finances are very limited but do everything else.Doctors and the US Food and Drug Administration (USDA) are very much against these types of do-it-yourself treatments in the same way they are against all do-it-yourself alternative medicine. The USDA resisted giving the product recommended here an approval as a therapeutic drug. This has turned out to be a great advantage because we can now buy it without a doctor's prescription. The research company that developed this stem cell product simply began selling it as a "nutritional supplement." You can order it on the Internet without a doctor's prescription. It is safe and very easy to take orally. It is shipped via one-day express in a special insulated box kept frozen with dry ice.Most stem cell claims are lies that will never be substantiated. Stem cells will not cause you to grow a new neck. Stem cells will not grow a new disc that has been totally devoured as a result of hormone cannibalism. Stem cells will not overpower catabolic hormones, protein deficiencies, fat deficiencies, the high-carbohydrate diet, poor posture, bad working conditions, and improper bedding, but the stem cells recommended here will help reverse degenerative disc disease.The following page identifies the myths, lies, and scams surrounding the stem cell topic. Research results have been faked. Universities and research organizations are scrambling to get a share of the hundreds of millions of dollars from the governments of the United States and other countries worldwide.Top Ten Embryonic Stem Cell and Human Cloning Research Claims, Promises, Facts, Expectations, Exaggerations, Hype, and Myths.However, research has developed some stem cells that do encourage your existing cells to heal, regenerate, multiply, and propagate. These stem cells are to be taken to help reverse degeneration of the spine. The stem cells to take are called porcine embryonic mesenchymal cells, or mesenchyme. A liquid molecular extract from porcine adrenal glands is included for enhancing adrenal function. The following link provides more detailed information on the stem cells and a suggested Internet source."The result is regeneration or replacement of the damaged cells. The implications for speedy and full recovery from everything from broken bones to herniated discs are enormous. We now have the potential to create healing where there was previously no hope of recovery. Later in this article, you'll hear how one of the authors restored severely herniated discs that should have required surgical fusion, as well as greatly accelerated recovery from a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Interestingly, the mechanism for organ formation from mesenchymal cells is still present in some adult animal species. For example, it is the presence of mesenchymal cells that allows a salamander to regenerate its tail if cut off. In the human adult, the only mechanism where these cells normally function is in the healing of wounds.
The mesenchyme available on the market in the U.S. is made from porcine embryonic mesenchymal cells. The cells are harvested from pregnant cattle destined for slaughter and subsequent human consumption. Only healthy fetuses from healthy cattle are used. Because mesenchyme is, by definition, undifferentiated fetal cellular material, it has not yet developed immune markers. It is therefore accepted by the human host without provoking an attack by the immune system and can freely work its magic on any number of physical injuries and traumas.
Mesenchyme has the ability to migrate to any tissue in need of repair and, once at the site, to take on the characteristics of the healthy cell it associates with. When mesenchyme is next to cartilage, it becomes cartilage and replaces or repairs damaged cartilage. This is true for organ tissues too: for example, when it is next to kidney mesenchyme becomes kidney. If one has damaged cells from a broken bone, mesenchyme associates itself with the wounded tissue, assumes the specific characteristics of that type of bone, and begins to repair the damaged tissue and create new bone cells. It sounds incredible, but much research has verified this unique action. Thus, mesenchyme has great potential in regenerating diseased or injured tissues of all kinds (van den Bos 1997).
The use of mesenchyme as a therapeutic substance arises from experiments conducted early in the 20th century by Dr. Alexis Carrel, 1912 Nobel Laureate in Biology, who demonstrated that organic tissues could be regenerated in vitro by the addition of fresh younger cells to the culture medium. In the 1930s, the Swiss endocrinologist Dr. Paul Niehans developed a technique for extracting cells from animals and injecting them into his patients to compensate for their bodies' deficiencies (Niehans 1960). One of the types of cell he found most beneficial was mesenchyme.
Mesenchyme used in conjunction with other whole cells and cellular extracts was popular in Europe during the 1960s and 1970s. Many well-known celebrities and politicians visited reputable clinics and spas, including Dr. Niehans' Clinique La Prairie in Clarens, Switzerland, to receive live cell therapy. Notables such as Charles de Gaulle, Charlie Chaplin and Sir Winston Churchill were just a few of the wealthy, powerful and famous figures of the last century who went to these spas for live cell therapy, which included mesenchyme as a basic part of the rejuvenation process.
What makes mesenchyme so unique, special, and efficient is the fact that it is composed of pluripotential cells, also known as mesenchymal stem cells, which have the ability to become almost any kind of tissue or organ. Embryologically, all connective and supportive tissues arise from mesenchymal cells (Corliss 1976). The versatility of these pluripotential cells allows them to form cartilage, bone, muscle, connective tissue, and organ tissue (van den Bos 1997).
In all mammals mesenchyme eventually differentiates into three embryonic tissues - the endoderm, the mesoderm, and the ectoderm (Moore 1989). During embryonic development, these three primitive cell types differentiate into all the body's organs and tissues. The endoderm forms the linings of the digestive and respiratory tracts. The mesoderm develops into muscle, connective tissues, bone, and blood vessels. The ectoderm differentiates into the epidermis and the nervous system. A portion of the mesenchyme remains in the placenta and the yolk sac surrounding the embryo in the fetus. It is this mesenchyme that is carefully separated to become the commercially available product."The product to be taken can be obtained from many sources, but the following are search engine links:XTRA-CELL Joint (JT) Support by Douglas Laboratories from Search Engine. Preferred product.Click here for XTRA-CELL JT Support pdf data sheet.XTRA-CELL CF Support by Douglas Laboratories from Search Engine. Alternate product.Alternate choice. Click here for XTRA-CELL CF Support pdf data sheet.
Step 7 - Horizontal Traction TherapyTraction is a medical term used to describe equipment that places the body in tension. The neck suffers greatly from the constant compression forces endured during a normal day's activities. Sleep brings about a rest period where the compression is relieved, but rarely is the neck or back placed in tension. The vertebrae, cervical discs, and facet joints all suffer under the constant compression forces. Compression prevents the discs from hydrating (absorbing water) properly. Nutrients cannot enter the disc easily while under this compressive stress.Traction is used to help reverse degeneration of the discs that results in thinning, hernia, or rupture. Since you may not know what is wrong with your neck, let me touch on a few suggestions.
- Stop doing all activity or exercises that cause pain. Running, tennis, and other sports will certainly make it worse not better. The old adage of exercising, working, or running through the pain is very bad theory.
- A cracked vertebrae or a facet joint problem will not heal properly if it is continually agitated by exercise, running, or chiropractic adjustments. This is the reason limbs are placed in a cast when we have a broken bone. The crack will not heal if there's movement between the two parts. The pain comes because new nerve endings are continually being broken at the crack.
- You may have pulled a muscle, tendon, or ligament, or you may have cracked vertebrae or facet joint. Muscles heal more quickly than other things and you should be better in two weeks if it is common muscle damage. Tendons and ligaments heal much more slowly.
- Common adjustments from chiropractors can be dangerous if the pain is caused by a herniated or ruptured disc, or from a tumor that is growing near the spinal cord.
- Chiropractic adjustments could also keep the torn muscle, tendon, or ligament from healing, and the adjustment could keep a cracked vertebrae or damaged facet joint from healing. If the adjustment make it worse, stop having them.
- On the other hand, I have personally had a chiropractic adjustment on my back that made the pain immediately disappear and it never returned. I asked the doctor if it would be OK to go on a small mountain hike after leaving his office. He laughed and said, "No, no, I wouldn't do that." My wife and I left his office and went on the mountain hike for about 45 minutes anyway without any discomfort in my back whatsoever. The pain never came back.
Rieske Hassock Full Spine Traction ProtocolEasy and highly effective. All you need is a hassock.
The hassock should have soft padding with well rounded edges. The height should be such that the feet touch the floor when lying on your back with the knees bent. Use something under the feet to reduce the height if your legs are too short. Follow these easy guidelines.
- Lie on your back on the hassock with the hips on the hassock. Cover the hassock with a large garbage bag (two layers) if it is not slick like leather because you will need to slide easily on the hassock in order to perform these exercises.
- Slide downward until the hips begin to move off of the hassock. Lift and drop the hips with your legs in a back-bending fashion. This first drop adjusts lumbar 7 at the bottom of the spine. A cracking noise indicates the facet joints were out of alignment. Continue to slide downward a little more to adjust lumbar 6, and raise and drop the hips again. Use caution the first time without causing strain to the ligaments. Continue to adjust the spine as far as is comfortable.
- Now slide upward until the head starts to slide off of the hassock. Relax the neck muscles in a back-bending fashion, and let it rest for a few second. This will adjust cervical neck vertebrae 1, 2, and possibly 3. Slide up-ward slightly to adjust more vertebrae through number 5 and into the thoracic section of the back.
- Carefully raise forward and off of the hassock when finished.
- Excessive strain on the ligaments will cause a dull ache that may appear later. This means that future exercises should be reduce.
Rieske Engineered Force-Vector Neck Traction ProtocolEasy and highly effective. All you need is a bed.
The following protocol is an engineering approach to applying tension to your neck that is so easy and effective you will wonder why no one else has discovered it. You can use your bed with the assistance of gravity as a device to apply tension or traction to your neck. This procedure is amazingly simple and effective. An engineering force vector analysis shows that the tension on the neck is equal to the weight of the head. This method applies as much tension as would be applied if one were inverted, but this method is much safer than inversion. The inversion method is dangerous because it increases the blood pressure in the head and the equipment presents the risk of dropping the user on his head. The tension in the neck can be felt immediately and care must be take to not stay in the tension position for an extended period of time because the ligaments may ache from the stress and fatigue. Test the method for no longer than a few minutes before extending the time. This procedure can be done several times a day if desired. Follow these easy guidelines.
- The bed should have a gently rounded edge. The side of the bed or end of the bed can be used.
- Lie flat on your back and position the body on the bed with the head extended somewhat over the edge. This positioning is vitally important.
- Position the head so the contact point is at the base of the skull half way between the neck and the back side of the head.
- A line drawn at a 45 degree angle from the center of the head would intersect the corner edge of the bed.
- The overhang of the head should extend far enough to prevent the back of the head from contacting the bed like it does on a pillow.
- The overhang should not be so far so as to allow the neck to contact the edge of the bed.
- You should be able to see the wall behind your head by rolling your eyes up and the ceiling by rolling your eyes down.
- The eye test insures that your head is at a 45 degree angle.
- Relax the entire body after the proper position is established. The tension can be felt as the muscles of the neck begin to relax.
- You most likely will hear a noise or feel little snap as the facet joints separate.
- The tension in the relaxed neck applies tension to the vertebral discs, allowing them to draw in fluids and expand in thickness.
- Applying tension to the vertebral discs is the main goal.
- Stay in the relaxed position for several minutes.
- Rising from the tension position may be easily accomplished by gently rolling to the side as one begins to lift the head.
- Rise from the prone position slowly and comfortably. Don't try to rise quickly.
- You will most likely feel or hear the facet joints close together again as your motion reduces the tension.
- Recovery may be more effective by moving so the head is fully on the bed.
- Stay very relaxed in this prone position flat on the back as long as desired.
- Rising immediately to a vertical position will place the full weight of the head back onto the vertebrae which is what we want to avoid.
- A good time for this tension therapy is immediately prior to bedtime. Move to the sleeping position immediately after the tension therapy.
- Do not use a thick pillow that bends the head forward toward the chest. Thick pillows compress the vertebral discs, and this compression is causing the neck problem.
Rieske Engineered Force-Vector Neck-Thoracic-Lumbar Traction ProtocolEasy and highly effective. All you need is a bed and a slick plastic leaf bag.
The entire spine can easily be placed in traction with this simple exercise by using a bed and a slick plastic trash bag. The setup is identical to the neck traction as described above, and you should understand it before attempting this traction. The theory in this exercise is allow the tension in the neck to extend down the spine through the thoracic and lumbar sections to the hips. The chest and thoracic section must be allowed to float or slide on the bed with very little horizontal force on the bed. In other words, the tension in the neck must be transferred down the spine to the hips before being resisted by the bed. The setup is as follows:
- Place a common trash bag on the bed extending from the edge of the bed at the neck location to the waist. Do not put the bag under the hips. This double thickness of plastic is necessary to allow the chest area to slide easily on the bed.
- Roll into place on top of the bag with the head nearly off the edge as in the neck exercise above. Start with the head more on the bed than off.
- Lie out straight.
- Put both arms straight out to the side. Bend the elbows with the palms of the hands toward the ceiling.
- Gently lift the chest using both arms by forcing the elbows into the bed. In other words, support the chest with the elbows.
- At the same time, use the arms to slide the chest and head toward the edge of the bed until the head in is the position described in the neck exercise above.
- You should feel tension in the lumbar area as the friction of the hips on the bed prevents the hips from moving.
- This should increase the tension in the lumbar because the hips will not slide easily on the bed.
- The lumbar tension will be more noticeable for those with lumbar pain as a decrease in pain should be noticeable.
- Rest the arms and entire body.
- If it doesn't work, or if you moved with the head too far off the bed, slide down to reposition yourself and try again.
- When the position is correct, relax as long as you wish. You should feel tension throughout the spine from the head to the hips.The tension in the lumbar is not as much as desired for such a large structure, but this should be somewhat effective. A full spine commercial traction machine will give better results because it can place high tension in the lumbar and thoracic sections.
Commercial Cervical Traction MachinesThe commercial traction machine recommended here can easily be used at home without assistance. It will greatly help to restore hydration to the cervical discs located between the vertebrae. The tension does not pull the disc away from the adjacent vertebra because the discs are attached. The tension on the disc reverses the detrimental effects of compression. The tension is very effective because the discs normally experience very little tension. They are primarily compression components in the spine.Don't be fooled by ineffective traction machines. Over-the-door and other overhead traction devices are ineffective. They barely support the weight of the head and do not place the neck under the higher tension required. Vertical traction devices are not acceptable.Do not use a horizontal or vertical traction device that uses a head harness with a strap under the chin. This type of harness places a heavy load on the lower jaw and compress the teeth together. Attempting to keep the teeth apart causes jaw muscle cramps. The jaw muscles are designed to clamp the teeth together for chewing. They are not designed to hold the mouth open as required by these types of head harnesses. Any device that uses a strap under the chin is unacceptable.The following horizontal traction machine is a very good product that provides the proper amount of tension on the neck. A gage measures the exact tension being applied. It is easy to use without assistance. The high quality carrying case included allows the user to take the unit to the workplace, on vacation, or on employment trips. This traction unit requires no electrical connection. It can be used anywhere that the user has a comfortable place to lie horizontally on a firm surface. A carpeted floor is an ideal location. The carpet keeps the machine in place and prevents the body from sliding toward the machine. The traction machine should not be used on a bed.Saunders Hometrac Cervical Traction Device. < ----- Source No. 1Saunders Hometrac Cervical Traction Device. < ----- Source No. 2 or search the Internet.The cost of the Saunders Hometrac Cervical Traction Device could possibly be covered by insurance or Medicare for those living in the United States. Difficulty may arise in getting the doctor, physical therapist, or chiropractor to process the necessary insurance paperwork, especially when they are not supportive of this program..
Chiropractors often have a traction table but may not offer the service unless specifically demanded. The spine decompression (traction) procedure at the North Dallas Spinal Center looks to be excellent. They claim it is better than standard traction procedures. The decompression procedure offered at North Dallas Spinal Center would be preferred over a do-it-yourself traction machine used in the home. The problem is finding a local facility with the equipment and knowledge equivalent to the North Dallas Spinal Center.On the west coast of the United States is an office in Berkeley, California.Medical doctors are not likely to be supportive of this program, and they may oppose the use of a traction device by the patient at home. Medical doctors are more likely to recommend surgical procedures where the discs are replaced with synthetic units or transplanted from a cadaver (a dead person). Another common practice is to remove the disc and insert the patient's own bone taken from the hip area as a spacer to fuse the adjoining two vertebrae together. Sometimes cadaver bone is used. The vertebrae surgery may include titanium plates and screws. The risks of complications and side effects are very high. Many people experience more pain, discomfort, and physical restrictions after healing from these surgical procedures than before surgery.Physical therapists are not likely to give a prescription or submit paperwork to your insurance company or Medicare for a traction unit fearing their services would become unnecessary. The traction device can be used at home several times a day if desired, but a patient simply cannot visit the physical therapist every day and certainly not multiple times a day.Visiting a chiropractor is the best way to obtain some useful "adjustments" to the spine and to obtain a traction device through your insurance company or Medicare. However, you must be certain the chiropractor accepts patients with insurance or Medicare. Some chiropractors may hesitate getting the traction device for you fearing it would result in the loss of your business. You must proceed with caution. Assure the chiropractor you intend to continue with his treatments after receiving the traction device. The chiropractic adjustments can also be beneficial. He will also be available to answer any questions about the use of the device. Go to a different chiropractor if you are not successful in getting a traction device through his office, or simply purchase one yourself.The Saunders traction device is very powerful. Large males should start at 30 pounds for only five minutes. Use a kitchen timer to accurately control the time limit. Women should start at 15 pounds for only five minutes. The weight of the hips will keep the body from sliding toward the device. Do not use excessive tension or increase the time. The ligaments in the neck and upper back become tired and over-stressed in the same manner as when you try to extend your arm for a long period of time. The symptoms of excessive stress will be a dull ache that appears about one hour after the treatment and could last for several hours or a day. Start at lower tensions to be certain the treatment does not increase your discomfort level significantly, although a slightly higher discomfort level may normally appear about an hour after treatment and last for several hours. Start with one traction session per day in mid-afternoon or evening. Proceed to two sessions per day, one in mid-afternoon and one just before bedtime.
Step 8 - Proper Posture and Work Station ErgonomicsProper posture requires a person to stand and sit upright with the shoulders back and the head balanced on the neck and spine. The average head weighs 12 pounds (5.5 kg), so carrying the head off balance places strain on discs, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. The prevention of spinal misalignment is very important. Trying to support the body in an awkward position places stress on the entire spine and causes "hidden injuries." You may feel considerable discomfort when trying to assume a proper posture because of existing neck or back problems. A proper posture has the head supported on the cervical discs and the facet joints without tension in any of the neck muscles. You can easily find this balance point by relaxing your neck muscles while tilting your head forward, backward and side to side. The neck muscles must be used to "catch" the head as it falls off balance.
A "head forward" position is one of the most common contributing factors that cause degenerative disc disease and prevent recovery. The weight of the head is carried by the cervical discs and facet joints when in the balanced position. A head-forward position transfers the load from the facet joints to the discs. The muscles at the back of the neck go into tension to prevent the head from tilting farther forward. This muscle tension is an added load on the discs. It can double or triple the compression load on the discs. The resulting thinning of the discs under the added constant compression load reduces the clearance space for nerve roots that exit from the spinal cord between the vertebrae near the back of the neck on either side. The pinched nerve roots cause pain and tingling in the hands and fingers or other areas. This is a "catch-22" situation. Now the head cannot be raised into the balanced position without increased pain. Elderly people can be seen walking with an extremely head-forward posture as a result of disc thinning. The entire program presented here enables the discs to increase in thickness and hydration, thereby relieving the pressure on the nerve roots. A proper posture is possible again after the pain has been reduced. The improved posture aids in hydration of the discs, and the downward spiral into degenerative disc disease is reversed.Walking Posture - The treatment present here will allow the sufferer of degenerative disc disease to improve his posture by walking in a more upright manner. The shoulders should be back and the head upright. The head and upper body forward posture must be eliminated by a strong conscious effort. Poor posture is a bad habit that must be broken by strong determination. The treatment presented here allows a return to proper posture without the pain that caused the poor posture in the first place. Walk with the eyes looking straight toward the horizon, not down toward the toes or ground. Look for obstacles well ahead and glance downward only for a moment when necessary to navigate the obstacle. Walking down stairs is a special case where bending slightly forward and focusing the eyes on the steps is more important. In daily activity the head should be upright with the eyes focused toward the horizon, the back straight and the shoulders back. Do not walk along with the head and shoulders slumped forward while looking at the ground.Sitting Posture - A person should sit with the hips against the back of the chair, the head upright, and the shoulders back. The chair back should be sloped backward at an angle of 3 to 4 inches in 12 inches. This can be measured by standing a large book vertically on the chair seat with the bottom of the book spine against the back of the chair. Measure up 12 inches and measure the gap between the book and the back of the chair. A chair back that is too vertical is bad because the user must sit with the hips forward, a curve in the lumbar area of the back, and the head bent forward. Slumping in a chair is another common example of a poor sitting posture and a bad habit. A conscious effort must be made to sit properly. Purchase new furniture that allows proper sitting posture and dispose of furniture that harms the sitting posture.General Posture - Many activities are generally done with the body bent forward and the head down. These activities must be changed or stopped. Stand up straight and look at the wall while showering and dressing. Don't slump over reading material, laptop computers, sewing, cooking, crafts, or hobbies. Special computer glasses may be needed to keep those with progressive bifocals from tilting the head backward. The glasses should be made with the distance vision measured from your eyes to the computer screen. The progressive bifocal distance would be your normal book reading distance. Television watching posture is also very important. Move the television up on a stand or entertainment center so viewing can be done by looking well ahead or horizontally. Always be aware of your posture to make corrections. Observe your posture continually throughout the day in order to correct bad posture habits.Sleeping Posture - The posture in bed can be bad even though the person is sleeping on a very good mattress as described below. Never sleep in a fetal position with the body curled forward and the head in a forward position while sleeping on one's side. A conscious effort must be made to keep the back straight or slightly concaved. Lay on one side and bend the spine backward as far as it will go comfortably. Bend the neck back also so the entire spine is concave, not forward. Relax in this position as is comfortable until you go to sleep. Turn over in the night to the other side and repeat the procedure. The head should be placed on the pillow with the neck straight above the shoulders or held slightly backward. The pillow will tend to hold the head in position. Upon waking the body must be repositioned because the body typically reverts back into the fetal position out of habit. One should sleep alternately on each side and the back, but never sleep on the stomach. Proper sleeping posture is very important. Do not lightly dismiss the need to improve sleeping posture. The discs are in tension when the back and neck are bent backwards. This is very healthy because it take the compressive load off of the discs and allows them to expand to regain a healthy thickness. A forward position is very unhealthy for the discs because they always in compression causing them to become thinner over time.Ergonomics - Ergonomics is the study of the working environment compared to the capability of the human body. Ergonomics covers all aspects of a job, from the physical stresses it places on joints, muscles, nerves, tendons, bones and the like, to environmental factors which can affect hearing, vision, and general comfort and health. Work stations and job functions that are not ergonomically designed can cause a constant head and upper body-forward working position. Many jobs require the worker to lean forward to see computer screens, assemble parts, or perform other functions in order to perform the required job. The work station must be redesigned to eliminate bad posture if degenerative disc disease is to be avoided. In many cases the person must change assignments or employment in order to avoid the harmful working environment. Don't expect the employer to provide an ergonomically healthy workstation. You must take action to see that your health is not compromised.
Step 9 - Proper Bed, Mattress, and PillowWe spend at least one third of our lives in bed. Therefore, sleeping in a proper bed is extremely important in maintaining the health of the neck and spine. The horizontal position of the body while in bed finally allows the constant compression load on the neck and back to be relieved.The bed should provide a firm support for the entire spine, and a firm pillow should be used to support the head. The mattress should be constructed with coil springs that are tied together by a continuous support innerspring to share and distribute the load. The best mattress is described as "extra firm" with a firmness rating (comfort scale) of 2.0 based on 1.0 being equivalent to lying on a plush carpeted floor and 10 being very soft. Many mattresses are mislabeled as being "firm" when the rating is actually 5, which is soft. A soft mattress is cheaper to manufacture, so they are often labeled as being more firm than they really are. The extra firm springs provide a desirable foundation because they are tied together to resist uneven loads of the body. The softer foam layers on the surface provide comfort, while the spring system maintains good support. The following mattresses meets these requirements.The following is the original recommendation:The following is a new recommendation made in September, 2013. Keep the old box spring and place a 5" extra firm foam mattress on the existing box spring with a 3" memory foam topper on the 5" foam. Add a mattress cover of your choice. This combination provides the support and comfort of an expensive memory foam mattress set. The foam has an odor for the first few days. It is best to open the foam mattress and topper in a convenient room, such as a living room, away from the bedroom for three days before moving them to the bedroom. This combination provides great support without creating pressure points on the hips.Sleep Better 5-Inch Extra Firm Mattress Topper Note: This will be used as the mattress, not as a topper.
3 Inch Thick, 4 Pound Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed TopperThe pillow under the head should compress to about 1 to 2 inches (25 to 50 mm) while sleeping. An excessively high pillow must never be used because it places the head in a forward position and places a compression load on the discs. Using two or more pillows under the head and shoulders to raise the upper body should never be used for sleeping. This bad bed posture is often shown on TV for mattress advertisements. The suggested pillow is a Sealy, Posturepedic, firm for men and medium for women. The Silver Safe® pillow with silver infused fiber and fabric is recommended because it offers anti-microbial protection. This pillow is available from J.C. Penney Company in the United States.The following beds are not acceptable since they do not give adequate support. Unfortunately, these mattresses seem to be gaining in popularity.
- Water beds are not acceptable. Water beds increase stress on the weakest parts of the spine and neck.
- Air-supported mattresses are not acceptable. They cause the same problems as water beds.
- Independent coil mattresses are not acceptable. They cause the same problems as water beds. Never buy the type of mattress shown in advertisements where a young woman is jumping up and down on one end of the mattress while a nearly full glass of wine remains upright at the other, or a mattress shown in advertisements where a bowling ball is dropped on one area of the mattress without depressing adjacent areas.
- Memory foam mattresses are not acceptable. They cause the same problems as water beds.
- Adjustable motorized frame beds are not acceptable. They lift the upper body into a position that places the cervical discs in compression.
- Sleeping in a reclining chair is not acceptable. The angle of incline keeps the back and neck in constant compression. Overweight people have sleep apnea and breathing difficulties because the weight of the abdominal fat presses against the diaphragm. Sleeping in a reclining chair allows easier breathing but harms the back and neck.
- Thick pillows or double-stacked pillows are not acceptable. They cause a head-forward position and increase the compression load on the cervical disc.
Step 10 - Chiropractic Manipulation AdjustmentsConventional chiropractic manipulations and adjustments are recommended as discussed above. The chiropractor should take before and after X-rays to detect the health of the neck and the thickness of each cervical disc. This is very important for diagnosis and to judge the success of this complex program, although reduced pain and discomfort is proof that you will instantly appreciate and proof that nobody can deny. One appointment per week should be appropriate, but the chiropractor may try to get you to come in twice a week in the beginning. The frequency can be reduced to once every two weeks after the first two months and can be reduced later to one a month after the fourth month.Standard manipulation opens the facet joints. The snapping noises are caused when the joints open. This treatment allows nutrients and fluids to heal and lubricate the joints. The standard manipulation also stretches the ligaments, tendons, and muscles to help relieve cramping and tightness thereby allowing the spine to return to a normal alignment. The nerves that may be pinched or impacted are also relieved. The neck assumes a more normal alignment, and the manipulation may bring instant relief.Warning! Not all chiropractic manipulations are helpful. Some are very unhealthy and dangerous. The standard manipulations done on a horizontal table are acceptable. Do not allow treatments that seem to make your condition worse. Treatments that place weights into a harness on the head while standing vertically must NEVER be used. The weights place a higher than normal compressive load on the cervical discs. The treatments with weight are exactly opposite to the treatment needed. Just say "no" and be firm in your conviction. Leave the chiropractors office and never go back. No treatment is better than bad treatment.Some standard manipulations can be done to an excess, causing additional straining of the ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Communicate with the chiropractor. Ask him to change, reduce, or discontinue adjustments in those areas that are made worse. Manipulations done in healthy areas of the spine may be more harmful than helpful. A full spinal manipulation may not be necessary. Do not allow the chiropractor to perform manipulations in areas that already feel strong, flexible, and pain free.The doctor of chiropractic in the example above was very surprised that the curvature of the neck increased because normal chiropractic treatments do not increase the thickness of the cervical discs. The doctor did not know that the complex treatment used here provided very positive results. Chiropractors typically say that reversing degenerative disc disease is impossible. The only hope expressed to the patient is the prevention of further deterioration. Do not expect simple chiropractic treatments to produce the awesome results proven by the program presented here.
Step 11 - Sun TherapyHot sun rays perform like a miracle in relaxing tight muscles, tendons, and ligaments. This is especially true during cold weather and in the winter when muscles then to get tight. A pinched branch nerve in the spine causes the nearby muscles to go into a spasm that can actually make the condition worse. The penetrating heat from the hot sun rays will relax these muscles thereby allowing the spine to seek a normal position. During the winter choose a clear window that allow direct and intense sun light to enter the room. Place an armless chair facing the window and sit backward on the chair. Use the back of the chair to support the arms and upper body in a relaxing position. Change positions as desired and continue for at least 15 minutes or more as desired. The sunlight is also a good way to increase vitamin D level during the winter when it tends to be lower. The vibrating massager recommended in the next step can be used after sun therapy as desired.
Step 12 - Hand Held Personal Vibrating MassagerThe use of a hand held personal vibrating massager can be very beneficial for alleviating cramping and tightness caused by fatigue and strain of the ligaments and tendons. The very high speed vibrations increase blood flow in a localized area, producing a calming effect and promoting healing. Do not confuse this therapy with those of a massage therapist whose motions are very slow and painful. Pain is not gain. Discontinue the use of the vibrating massager if it produces increased pain or discomfort. Use the vibrating massager whenever cramping or tightness is felt or before bedtime.The best type of vibrating massager is multi-speed or variable speed up to 6000 vibrations per minute. Heat is also beneficial, but the unit listed below does not heat. The handle should allow the user to easily reach all areas of the neck and back.The TheraSpa Turbo Brookstone Massager offers total muscle relief with one of the most powerful personal massages available. This is one massage experience that you will never forget!
The Brookstone TheraSpa Turbo Massager features a 90°, 180° and 270° rotating massage head.Do not use a roller type massager with slow action. Do not bother using a massage type chair or recliner. They generally produce motion that is too slow and not localized enough to produce the desired effect.
Step 13 - Expectations, Starting Journal, and Follow-up Program RequirementsThe expectations and measurements of progress are very important in order to be successful in reversing degenerative disc disease. The following topics will help you in planning and measuring your progress. Success always builds confidence and leads to further success.Expectations - This program will show weekly progress that you can measure by comparing your pain levels, activity restrictions, and overall comfort to that of the previous week. Daily progress should not be expected, but any setback should not be dismissed lightly. Overuse of the traction machine or incorrect chiropractic manipulations can cause a setback. These should be corrected immediately.Journal - Write a "Starting Journal" before you begin anything else. The journal should describe your present condition in great detail. Update your journal each week during the first four weeks in order to compare your weekly condition to your previous and starting journal entries. In this way you can accurately measure your progress. Your "Starting Journal" should include the following topics.
- Enter facts such as the date, existing diseases, previous diet philosophy, prescription drugs taken, etc.
- Enter detailed descriptions of your pains, activity restrictions, and discomfort levels experienced during typical daily activities such as walking, sitting, driving a car, job, recreation, and sleeping.
- Enter a number representing the pain level from 0 to 10. Ten is sever pain that is almost unbearable. Zero is feeling wonderfully normal without any pain or discomfort whatsoever.
- Enter the location of the pain, nerve tingling, ache, cramp, or discomfort. Use a scientific chart to attempt to identify the location in the spine that causes the pain or discomfort. Your chiropractor will be of great assistance in the correct identification of the source. Ask your chiropractor for a chart or picture showing all the major components of the spine. Your chiropractor will tell you which nerve root, ligament, tendon, or muscle is the source of the pain, tingling, cramping, or discomfort.Follow-up Program - Write a completely new journal entry every month with all of the detailed information listed for the "Starting Journal." The "Monthly Journal" will help to prevent slippage back into your old lifestyle. Compare these entries to the previous month and to the "Starting Journal" in order to measure your progress. You must not revert back to your old way of life simply because you begin to feel better. Doing so most likely will cause your pain, discomfort, and degenerative disc disease to return. Staying healthy and pain free requires a life-long commitment and control of your treatment program. The following are a few follow-up guidelines and restrictions.
- The high-fat, high-protein and low-carbohydrate diet required by this program is an absolute lifelong requirement. Health will suffer in proportion to the percentage of carbohydrates reintroduced back into the diet.
- Insulin, adrenalin, and cortisol hormones must be strictly controlled by the diet program presented here.
- Prescription immunosuppressant drugs must be strictly avoided in order to prevent the return of severe degenerative disc disease. There is nothing you can do to overpower the devastating effects of these drugs. The diet program presented here has a strong and positive effect in reducing the negative symptoms of autoimmune diseases.
- Traction should be an ongoing treatment either daily or every other day.
- Chiropractic manipulation many be helpful on a monthly or semi-monthly basis.
- Buy a new bed as specified above. People become addicted to familiar objects, such as a favorite bed. Most people cannot admit that the water bed or air bed they previously purchased was a big mistake.
- Buy a new pillow as specified above. Do not think that all pillows are the same. The new pillow can make a tremendous improvement in your neck and back.
- The protein and amino acid therapy is vital, but again, all of the steps are vital.
- Do not pick and choose from the steps above without doing them all. Most people think they will get better if they could only discover that missing magic bullet. This logic is wrong.
Step 14 - Pitfalls, Cautions, and Warnings About Temptations That Cause FailureDon't slack off from this program simply because you are beginning to feel better. The "Follow-on Program" must be continued even when you are feeling wonderfully well in order to stay that way.Carbohydrates are extremely addictive. Very few people understand this. People will give up wheat products by switching to rice or oat grains without experiencing any addictive withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. This is because all grains are very high in carbohydrates. The monkey on your back will immediately raise its ugly head when you cut your carbohydrate intake severely as required by the diet program presented here. The reasons people use as excuses to continue to eat carbohydrates are unlimited. Don't come up with a new excuse. Bite the bullet and control your addiction. One must have a high level of self-control, commitment, and determination in order to resist carbohydrate addictions. Severely negative side effects can be experienced when carbohydrates are withdrawn from the diet in direct proportion to the amount of damage done to the body by the previous high-carbohydrate diet. Diabetics are a good example of these negative side effects, but they can be overcome. Read the following web pages in order to gain an understanding about the withdrawal symptoms of carbohydrate addiction and how to overcome and control them.Reversing Heart Disease, Heart Attack, Coronary Artery Disease, Stent, HDL, and LDL Cholesterol Success StoriesCancer - The Cause, Prevention, Treatment, Control and Spontaneous Remission of Cancer of the Breast, Prostate, Lung, Colon, Liver, Pancreas, Brain, Bone, Lymph Gland, or Skin Melanoma.
Common Recommendations That Are Wrong
Exercises and Water Aerobics Will Not Rebuild the NeckNeck exercises and water aerobics will not rebuild the neck or reverse degenerative disc disease as commonly promised. Treadmills and elliptical training machines will not rebuild your neck. Most people with neck problems can attest to this fact. Strains and tears of the ligaments, tendons, and muscles heal naturally without exercise. Healing occurs even though neck exercises are done, not because the exercises are done. This give the false impression that the exercises helped in the healing. This assumption is wrong. Actually, exercise slows the healing and frequently does more damage. The best treatments for sprains and strains of ligaments, tendons, and muscles are immobilization followed by small movements that do not cause pain. For good reason we do not want to move our neck when it hurts. The movements actually prevent or slow the healing process. Nearly all neck exercises are done in the vertical position with the neck in compression. These exercises multiply the compressive stress on the cervical discs and facet joints. Do not do neck exercises in an attempt to heal the neck. Movement of the head off center increases the pressure on the cervical discs.Warning! Tilting the head as far forward as possible with the chin down toward the chest is especially dangerous. The exercise instructor may ask the participant to apply an additional downward load by placing both hands on the top of the head and pulling downward. Do not perform this exercise because it is very dangerous! The discs are highly compressed in an eccentric manner that is most likely to cause the disc to rupture. Never place eccentric compressive loads on the head. Any compressive load on the head is bad, but eccentric compressive loads are extremely dangerous. Tilting the head to the side or backward will increase the compression. Pulling the head farther to the side with one hand is very bad for the cervical discs, facet joints, ligaments, and tendons. Refuse to do these exercises and discontinue all treatment with any exercise instructor, physical therapist, or chiropractor who tries to make you perform them.Yoga Will Not Rebuild the NeckYoga will not rebuild the neck or reverse degenerative disc disease as commonly promised. Most people with neck problems can attest to this fact. Yoga moves are very similar to commonly recommended neck exercises and have all of the same negative problems. Many yoga positions are much more dangerous than common exercises. Actually, yoga slows the healing of discs, facet joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Yoga makes degenerative disc disease worse. You may feel better after a few of the initial yoga exercises because of your preexisting mental bias, but a review of your condition a year after starting yoga will show your condition is worse. Yoga instructors typically recommend a vegetarian diet that is one of the primary causes of degenerative disc disease.Warning! One yoga position is extremely dangerous even for young people with perfectly healthy necks. This is the yoga "shoulder stand" position in which the person starts by lying flat on his/her back. The legs and hips are rolled upward into the vertical position until the body is resting upside down on the back of the shoulders. The neck is bent almost 90 degrees forward in the area of the C5 through C7 vertebrae. The eccentric compressive loads on the cervical discs are extreme. Herniation and/or rupture of the discs could occur instantly.All yoga exercises done in the vertical standing or sitting position are also bad for the neck. Do not do any yoga exercises in an attempt to heal the neck.Pilates Exercises Will Not Rebuild the NeckPilates exercises are generally not harmful to the neck. Neither will they do much good. The exercises have no affect in overcoming catabolism of the spine when the catabolic hormones are raging. The pilates equipment is also expensive. The perceived health improvement from doing pilates exercises is basically psychological.Physical Therapy Will Not Rebuild the NeckPhysical therapy will not rebuild the neck or reverse degenerative disc disease as commonly promised. Therapy moves performed in the horizontal position may not be detrimental, but physical therapy performed in the vertical position will most likely cause additional damage to the neck and spine. Therapy movements of the head while standing or sitting upright cause increased eccentric pressure on the cervical discs.Warning! Tilting the head as far forward as possible with the chin down toward the chest is especially dangerous. The physical therapist may ask the participant to apply an additional downward load by placing both hands on the top of the head and pulling downward. Do not perform this exercise because it is very dangerous. The discs are highly compressed in an eccentric manner that is most likely to cause the disc to rupture. Never place eccentric compressive loads on the head. Any compressive load on the head is bad, but eccentric compressive loads are extremely dangerous. Tilting the head to the side or backward will increase the compression. Pulling the head farther to the side with one hand is very bad for the cervical discs, facet joints, ligament, and tendons. Refuse to do these exercises and discontinue all treatment with any exercise instructor, physical therapist, or chiropractor who tries to make you perform them.Massage Therapy Will Not Rebuild the NeckMassage therapy is generally done on a table with the patient in a horizontal position. This position is much better than the vertical position generally used in yoga and exercise. The massage may feel good because it increases blood flow, but deep massage can also make the condition worse when excessive pressure causes further damage to the already injured tissues.Warning! Do not believe the massage therapist who tells you the pain is good. Leave and never go back. Pain is not gain.Head Weights Used in a Head Harness are DangerousThe natural weight of the head is one of the contributing causes of degenerative disc disease. Some chiropractors are applying additional weight to the head with the use of a head harness. This practice is bad for healthy people, and most certainly should never be done to patients with degenerative disc disease.Warning! This chiropractic procedure is dangerous and harmful. This procedure can instantly increase pain and discomfort. Do not go to a chiropractor who uses this technique. Grab your neck and run.Medical Doctors Generally Prescribe Drugs and Perform SurgeryMedical doctors are trained to prescribe drugs and perform surgeries in the attempt to eliminate the symptoms of degenerative disc disease. These methods are not intended to reverse degenerative disc disease. Doctors rarely have a comprehensive, non invasive program to reverse degenerative disc disease. They prescribe drugs in an attempt to relieve some of the pain, but these are not very effective as most sufferers will testify. These drugs also have harsh side effects. The drugs do not heal the neck and do not reverse degenerative disc disease.The surgical approach is the best solution for many neck problems. One necessary surgery is the removal of the gelatinous nucleus pulposus that extrudes from the center of a disc when it ruptures. Quick action is recommended in some cases to prevent permanent damage to the spinal cord. The bulge of a herniated disc can be trimmed away internally to eliminate pressure on the spinal cord and/or nerve roots, thereby relieving the pain. This procedure has the negative side effect of weakening an already damaged disc. The entire disc can be replaced with a synthetic disc or one from a cadaver, but disc replacement can have considerable negative consequences. The symptoms of a thinning disc can be eliminated by locking the spacing of the vertebrae using plates and screws. In some cases two adjacent vertebrae are allowed to fuse together with transplanted bone to replace the surgically removed disc. Some of these procedures give fairly good results, but many disastrous complications are also common. The program presented here is very low risk, but a complete medical diagnosis should not be delayed before starting this program. Medical conditions such as tumors and/or cancer should be ruled out by a doctor before attempting chiropractic manipulations or traction. It is therefore advisable to have a complete diagnosis performed by a medical doctor before proceeding with the program presented here.
The Latest News in Reversing Degenerative Disc Disease
"Doctors in China have carried out the world's first spinal disc transplants on five patients, a study says. The discs were placed in the necks of four men and a woman by a University of Hong Kong-led team. They were taken, with the consent of relatives, from the spines of three young female donors who had died suddenly as a result of trauma. Five years on, the patients are doing well, with improved mobility and no immune problems, says the Lancet."Height Loss of 1.2" (3cm) Signals High Heart Disease Risk - December 12, 2006."But those who lost 3cm in height were 64% more likely to die than those who lost less than 1cm." Fortunately, the diet presented here will prevent the loss of height caused by degenerative disc disease and will prevent heart disease.