Friday 5 February 2016

P2 of previous post -, are rugby and American football players coaches or physios aware of this, and if not why not

Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

Jo*mar's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW USA
Posts: 23,403
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slg1 View Post
How would one know if they have this issue? I have had xrays done of my cervical spine. Would this have shown up? Would the xray technician even diagnose this?
General x rays will only show if there is a major issue... Few MD's or x ray techs are trained in atlas/axis measurements/ corrections.

Upper cervical chiros have special measuring tools/ machines, and some chiros will also use use various leg length checks.
Mine used the leg length checks, he did many checks before & after adjusting each time.

But I don't think upper cervical alone fixes all other misalignments, as the websites often suggest..
I think upper cervical is great , but i know I needed more than that alone..
__________________
Check the Helpful sticky threads near the top of every forum.
site FAQ's http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/faq.php
Use the search tool to find information posted in other NT threads & posts
Search link - http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/search.php
NT Guidelines - Linked @ bottom of every page

Last edited by Jo*mar; 02-28-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: fix
Jo*mar is offline   Reply With Quote



Unread 02-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
Member

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 124
Default

I've had a very good experience with an Atlas Orthogonal chiro last year.
He did his own Xrays and did a bunch of other measurements. My leg lengths were almost two inches apart and no wonder I had a lot of issues. After seeing him for about 5-6 months I no longer had major back and neck pain. It really helped with neck-related headaches.
Didn't solve all my issues like they promise you, but it definitely helped with some problems I had.
I plan on going back soon for a checkup.
__________________
12/02/2012 - Light concussion at boxing practice. Ended up having PCS for about 3 months.
March 2013 - Thought that since most of my symptoms resolved I could start having fun again.
Went snowmobiling once (didn't hit my head) and concussion symptoms returned and got even worse than before.
June 2013 - accidentally bumped my head against a deck railing, and had a month-long setback.
November 2013 - drove to work after a big snowstorm and the roads were very rough, ended up having another setback.
2014 - Having setbacks after coughing/sneezing too much, or someone slapping me on the back, or any other significant jarring.
Feb 2014 - Started seeing Atlas Orthogonal chiro - most helpful doc so far.
June 2014 - Two months of physical/visual therapy - no noticeable imporvement.
September 2014 - Diagnosed with Perilymph Fistula in right ear.
November 2014 - Fistula surgery (switched to left ear before the surgery after additional testing).

Current symptoms are: inconsistent sleep patterns, headaches, vertigo/dizziness, anxiety/panic attacks, mental fog/problems with concentration, problems with computer screens.
russiarulez is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
Member

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 178
Default

Does the typical mental exhaustion speak for a vertebra issue? I do not have normal headaches. They just start slightly and get more severe when I do too much.
Chris2828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
Wise Elder

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Who knows ?
Posts: 8,847
My Mood:
Default

Exhaustion head aches are usually caused by pushing the brain beyond its current capability. They can also be due to low blood sugar or dehydration.
__________________
Mark in Idaho

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
Member

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 178
Default

So it's rather not a sign of twisted vertebras..
Chris2828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #16
Newly Joined

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
Default

I have a lot of the same issues...been chasing my tail unsuccessfully for years! What were the exact stretches and exercises that you were talking about? I see everything except for what you actually did.
Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by john86 View Post
My atlas was out of place for years, symptoms were anxiety, depression, hopelessness, neck stiffness, grinding when turning away from problem side, muscle imbalances all over the body, jaw pain (on the opposite side), TMJ, jaw clicking, lower back pain, pain mid spine on the left, trapped nerves in left trap and back, thick upper traps (from forward head posture i think) anyway, all of my symptoms disappeared after lots of research I finally cracked it (not literally).

Also I wouldnt go to a chiropractor because I've seen some of their 'corrections', all that sudden twisting can't be doing those delicate nerves in your neck any good! I guess that's why the nucca approach is the best because it's gentle.

Here's what I did to re align my c1 atlas

First, I'm not sure how misaligned you are but I'm going to assume you have muscle imbalance in the neck but either way I think the first step I'm about to right is important. If the muscles are tight on one side your head / c1 simply cant go where it's supposed to.

1. Do these stretches to loosen the neck, pay attention to imbalances ie if you can go further on one side than the other. In this case stretch twice as much and don't count, only release the stretch when the muscle has relaxed. You CAN make tighter muscles even tighter by stretching improperly.

*edit*

2. Next the hips. I'm also going to assume you have tight / limited hip movement so here's what to do.

Go for a walk, whilst walking focus on tightening you abs and your but (glutes) whilst tilting your pelvis backwards so you effectively straightening your lower back, so you're pulling the front up an pushing the back down. Hold it for as long as possible, you should feel your lower back free up almost straight away.

Necks loose and hips are loose, so that's the muscles in the top and bottom of your spine sorted, now to align the C1.

3. Perform these two simple exercises in this video. This (as he says) always works in positioning the atlas / *edit*

(Like he says repeat it every hour)

Tip: in ex.2 if you're tense try to relax and when you bring your arms to your shoulders breathe in.

Hope it helps!
dpizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #17
Junior Member

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 27
Default C1 instability

yup most concussion symptoms are due to C1/C2 instability.. sometimes its due to the damage of your capsular ligament.it then pinches on your vertebral artery causing you a host of symptoms. C1/C2 don't have any discs ..
im having the same issues myself and so far not much has helped. ive improved in the last few months.. ive yet to try NUCCA chiropractic but ive heard positive things
roffa13a is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #18
Wise Elder

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Who knows ?
Posts: 8,847
My Mood:
Default

C-0, C-1, & C-2 instability can contribute to concussion symptoms and in some cases mimics concussion symptoms but many concussion symptoms are entirely neurological. Treat C-0, C-1, & C-2 and headaches, some blood flow and maybe some vestibular issues may be relieved but most cognitive issues are due to stress to brain tissue. Upper cervical issues are not a quick fix. It often takes months of treatment and postural discipline. For some, upper cervical osteoarthritis becomes a life-long struggle.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment